May 14, 2010, 12:02 PM EDT
Lance Berkman made headlines last week for saying he’d be open to a trade and suggesting the Astros would be smart to deal him, and yesterday Roy Oswalt joined him in publicly saying he’d be open to a move.
Oswalt said during an interview with MLB Network Radio that he’d consider waiving his no-trade clause for a move to a “true contender” and, like Berkman, explained why the Astros would be smart to pursue a deal.
When you get to a point where you need to start rebuilding they’re going to start with a guy that’s got a lot of value and I understand that if I’m throwing well that they maybe can get two or three guys that can fill holes that they need.
Obviously the Astros aren’t going to get as much in return for Berkman and Oswalt as they would have, say, two years ago, but whatever they do get back will almost surely help jumpstart the rebuilding process more than a 32-year-old and a 34-year-old. Oswalt has a 2.63 ERA in seven starts and Berkman is hitting well again following knee surgery, so general manager Ed Wade should be working the phones pretty hard.
Oswalt makes $15 million this season and $16 million next season, with a $16 million option or $2 million buyout for 2012. Berkman makes $14.5 million this season with a $15 million option or $2 million buyout for 2011.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 22
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 83
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (83)