May 14, 2010, 12:02 PM EST
Lance Berkman made headlines last week for saying he’d be open to a trade and suggesting the Astros would be smart to deal him, and yesterday Roy Oswalt joined him in publicly saying he’d be open to a move.
Oswalt said during an interview with MLB Network Radio that he’d consider waiving his no-trade clause for a move to a “true contender” and, like Berkman, explained why the Astros would be smart to pursue a deal.
When you get to a point where you need to start rebuilding they’re going to start with a guy that’s got a lot of value and I understand that if I’m throwing well that they maybe can get two or three guys that can fill holes that they need.
Obviously the Astros aren’t going to get as much in return for Berkman and Oswalt as they would have, say, two years ago, but whatever they do get back will almost surely help jumpstart the rebuilding process more than a 32-year-old and a 34-year-old. Oswalt has a 2.63 ERA in seven starts and Berkman is hitting well again following knee surgery, so general manager Ed Wade should be working the phones pretty hard.
Oswalt makes $15 million this season and $16 million next season, with a $16 million option or $2 million buyout for 2012. Berkman makes $14.5 million this season with a $15 million option or $2 million buyout for 2011.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 74
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)