So, what would be your walk-up music?

May 14, 2010, 11:34 AM EDT

Record.jpgI’m partial to some nice organ music at the ballpark, but I realize that’s quickly going the way of the dodo. Nowadays you whippersnappers like your bebop and “rock and roll” and all of that noise. In the unlikely event that God and fate keep you from becoming juvenile delinquents as a result of listening to that devil’s music, I suppose it’s well and good.

So these days the ballplayers have their theme music.  This AP story notes that this season a number of guys — including Mark Teahen, Troy Tulowitzki, Nick Johnson and Cameron
Maybin — have gone the ironic route, playing Justin Bieber and Miley Cyrus songs as they come to bat.  That’s the kind of thing that’s good for a chuckle at first, but like the “Atari” shirt you wore to that college party back in 1992 and your brief love affair with swing music in 1997, it’s the kind of thing that wears out fast. Such is the nature of irony.

But it has brought the subject of walkup music back to my attention.  It’s always a fun bar conversation: if you were a major league hitter — or a big time closer — what song would you come out to?  It’s a tougher subject than you might think. Sure, Roger Daltry’s yell from “Won’t Get Fooled Again” seems awesome, but when you figure that you’re gonna strikeout or hit a weak dribbler six or seven out of every ten times at bat you can imagine that the fiery inspiration of it all may soon hang like an albatross around your neck.  And that’s before you even get into the “aw, crap, they use it on “CSI” now, so it’s played-out” factor of it all.

Maybe something steady and driving is better than all that catharsis. “Walk the Line” may work, but you risk being called out as a hipster for such an obvious choice.  Maybe something that burns more than rocks like, say, the intro to “Sweet Emotion” or whatever the hell that Alan Parsons Project song was that the Chicago Bulls used to use.  All have their good points, all have their flaws. I’m not decided on what I’d use. I’m kind of partial to the keyboard intro to “What’d I say” by Ray Charles, but my mind changes on this subject quite frequently.  I was particularly inspired by Chris Carter’s use of Hulk Hogan’s old theme, “Real American,” during his debut with the Mets the other night.  Wrestlers always got that stuff right.

I’m gonna throw it open. Tell me in the comments: if you’re a ballplayer what’s your walkup and/or coming out of the bullpen to lock down a save music?  And no, you can’t use “Grab them Cakes.”  I’m reserving the rights to use that one for myself.

127 Comments (Feed for Comments)
  1. okobojicat - May 14, 2010 at 11:39 AM

“Can’t You See” by Marshall Tucker Band
    Its just a awesome song.
    recptcha: “however kooked”

2. Joe G - May 14, 2010 at 11:42 AM

I was at a Phillies game and Juan Castro’s walk-up song was the intro to Corduroy by Pearl Jam. Something tells me he didn’t pick it out, but it was awesome regardless.
    I’d say mine would be Where The River Flows intro by Collective Soul

3. Kendall - May 14, 2010 at 11:43 AM

The opening verse from Baba O’Riley by The Who: “Out here in the fields/I fight for my meals/I get my back into my living.”

4. Ryan - May 14, 2010 at 11:44 AM

I always thought the intro for “Raise Your Hands” from Bon Jovi would rule as a walk-up song. Hey, if Barf can rock out to it, it must be good, right?
    This was a fun article on closer songs:

5. P - May 14, 2010 at 11:48 AM

As a closer, it would definitely be Neighborhood #3: Power Out by the Arcade Fire

6. gene birdsall - May 14, 2010 at 11:52 AM

Chris Carter’s 3 should be Strokin’ by Clarence Carter, Clarence Carter!

7. APBA Guy - May 14, 2010 at 11:52 AM

Hitter: “Eat the Rich” by Krokus
    Closer: “Lights Out” by UFO
    Not that I’m obsessed by North Sea English/Continental hard rock bands. No…

8. Funzo - May 14, 2010 at 11:53 AM

Nothing can top Jeremy Reed coming out to “Survival of the Fittest” by Mobb Deep. Yes, I’m a slap-hitting, lily white 4th OF, but I am HARD.
    I’d probably just go with the intro to “Misty Mountain Hop,” that first Bonzo drum roll always gets me amped.

9. tbliggins - May 14, 2010 at 11:57 AM

“New Noise” by Refused as a hitter.
    As a closer it would have to be “The Final Countdown” by Europe.

10. BC - May 14, 2010 at 12:00 PM

“Bleed It Out” – Linkin Park. Accept no substitutes.

11. mike - May 14, 2010 at 12:01 PM

Gangsta party by 2pac

12. Jeff - May 14, 2010 at 12:04 PM

Gotta be Immigrant Song by Zeppelin. In fact, just about anything from Zeppelin works.

13. Young Gopher - May 14, 2010 at 12:05 PM

Closer; “Juicebox” By The Strokes
    Hitter; “Welcome Home” By Coheed and Cambria

14. BC - May 14, 2010 at 12:05 PM

Actually… could I just skip the music and have the scoreboard guy just put a big ‘ol picture of Drew Barrymore up there while I bat?

15. Mark S - May 14, 2010 at 12:05 PM

I wonder what I’d be saying about myself if I picked the theme to ‘Chariots of Fire’?

16. Trevor B - May 14, 2010 at 12:06 PM

“The Undertaker’s Thirst for Revenge is Unquenchable” by Chiodos.

17. Chief McHeath - May 14, 2010 at 12:07 PM

Benny Hill theme song.

18. touchme - May 14, 2010 at 12:08 PM

The final countdown

19. BC - May 14, 2010 at 12:11 PM

Here you go:

20. Kyle Farnsworth - May 14, 2010 at 12:11 PM

“Put another log on the fire” by TomPall and the Glaser Brothers. They’re a little bit country, they’re a little bit rock n’ roll.

21. Alan - May 14, 2010 at 12:11 PM

“New Day Rising” by Husker Du. That’d get me amped up for sure.

22. Todd - May 14, 2010 at 12:14 PM

The theme song from “Sanford and Son.”

23. BC - May 14, 2010 at 12:15 PM

WAITAMINIT! I GOT IT!
    “Youth Gone Wild” – Skid Row. PERFECT.
    That and the Drew Barrymore picture.
    I’d freaking hit .500….

24. ralphdibny - May 14, 2010 at 12:17 PM

Nothing is more inspirational than a John Williams theme. Superman, Star Wars, Indiana Jones. They’d all work.

25. pepe - May 14, 2010 at 12:17 PM