So, what would be your walk-up music?

May 14, 2010, 11:34 AM EDT

Record.jpgI’m partial to some nice organ music at the ballpark, but I realize that’s quickly going the way of the dodo. Nowadays you whippersnappers like your bebop and “rock and roll” and all of that noise. In the unlikely event that God and fate keep you from becoming juvenile delinquents as a result of listening to that devil’s music, I suppose it’s well and good.

So these days the ballplayers have their theme music.  This AP story notes that this season a number of guys — including Mark Teahen, Troy Tulowitzki, Nick Johnson and Cameron
Maybin — have gone the ironic route, playing Justin Bieber and Miley Cyrus songs as they come to bat.  That’s the kind of thing that’s good for a chuckle at first, but like the “Atari” shirt you wore to that college party back in 1992 and your brief love affair with swing music in 1997, it’s the kind of thing that wears out fast. Such is the nature of irony.

But it has brought the subject of walkup music back to my attention.  It’s always a fun bar conversation: if you were a major league hitter — or a big time closer — what song would you come out to?  It’s a tougher subject than you might think. Sure, Roger Daltry’s yell from “Won’t Get Fooled Again” seems awesome, but when you figure that you’re gonna strikeout or hit a weak dribbler six or seven out of every ten times at bat you can imagine that the fiery inspiration of it all may soon hang like an albatross around your neck.  And that’s before you even get into the “aw, crap, they use it on “CSI” now, so it’s played-out” factor of it all.

Maybe something steady and driving is better than all that catharsis. “Walk the Line” may work, but you risk being called out as a hipster for such an obvious choice.  Maybe something that burns more than rocks like, say, the intro to “Sweet Emotion” or whatever the hell that Alan Parsons Project song was that the Chicago Bulls used to use.  All have their good points, all have their flaws. I’m not decided on what I’d use. I’m kind of partial to the keyboard intro to “What’d I say” by Ray Charles, but my mind changes on this subject quite frequently.  I was particularly inspired by Chris Carter’s use of Hulk Hogan’s old theme, “Real American,” during his debut with the Mets the other night.  Wrestlers always got that stuff right.

I’m gonna throw it open. Tell me in the comments: if you’re a ballplayer what’s your walkup and/or coming out of the bullpen to lock down a save music?  And no, you can’t use “Grab them Cakes.”  I’m reserving the rights to use that one for myself.

127 Comments (Feed for Comments)
  1. Jason Rosenberg - May 14, 2010 at 1:49 PM

“Tom Sawyer” by rush. You can’t beat that opening crash.

2. Josh in DC - May 14, 2010 at 1:54 PM

Theme from the Odd Couple. Or the Dating Game.

3. bennoj - May 14, 2010 at 1:55 PM

As a hitter I’d want to give myself something to shoot for, so I’d want the chorus of The Baseball Project’s “Ted F**cking Williams”.

4. YANKEES1996 - May 14, 2010 at 1:55 PM

Hitter : Run to the Hills – Iron Maiden
    Closer : Ride the Lightining – Metallica

5. BC - May 14, 2010 at 2:00 PM

“I’ll Never Fall In Love Again” by Burt Bacharach.
    It’ll stick in the opposing team’s minds, and it too is biographical of me.

6. MFG - May 14, 2010 at 2:04 PM

The theme from The Good, The Bad & The Ugly.

7. Andrew - May 14, 2010 at 2:07 PM

full orchestral version of Lux Aeterna- Clint Mansell
    would probably get you too jacked up for hitting, but fired up as a closer? yes.

8. Aarcraft - May 14, 2010 at 2:08 PM

Underdog by Spoon
    “You have no fear of the Underdog, thats why you will not survive”

9. Seth - May 14, 2010 at 2:13 PM

“Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go.” If I played for the M’s.
    Seriously, I’d have to go Scorpions. “Blackout” maybe.

10. Andrew - May 14, 2010 at 2:15 PM

Another Mansell song I’d like as a hitter:
    Dead Reckoning
    Panty Raid’s Get the Money would be sweet to hear in a packed stadium

11. smsetnor - May 14, 2010 at 2:19 PM

This is a frequent conversation in bars if I’m around. One of my favorite questions to ask.
    I’d pick:
    Tupac: All Eyez On Me

12. BC - May 14, 2010 at 2:30 PM

How about “Cherry Pie” by Warrant.

13. Birdman6824 - May 14, 2010 at 2:41 PM

Closer
    My Hero – Foo Fighters
    Batter
    The Bomber – The James Gang

14. Ric - May 14, 2010 at 2:43 PM

FWIW, the Alan Parsons Project song in question is “Sirius”.
    As for me, I’d go with BOC’s “Cities On Flame (With Rock and Roll)” Because “Godzilla’s” taken, and nobody can say “Veteran of the Psychic Wars” with a straight face – not even the members of BOC.

15. BC - May 14, 2010 at 2:48 PM

“Mississippi Queen” by Mountain.
    I think someone uses that though.
    (Man, I’m showing my age)

16. Cru11 - May 14, 2010 at 2:54 PM

Lookout Mountain by the Drive By Truckers. The opening guitar lick will tear down the house.

17. Cru11 - May 14, 2010 at 2:56 PM

18. RichardInDallas - May 14, 2010 at 3:02 PM

@Trevis – May I pass your closer suggestion on to my son, and is it OK with you if he uses it? Stll the best of the day!

19. Alex in mpls - May 14, 2010 at 3:13 PM

I’m Awesome by Spose

20. Jick - May 14, 2010 at 3:16 PM

“Lawyers, Guns, and Money” by Warren Zevon. Especially if I’m a mop-up relief pitcher.

21. BC - May 14, 2010 at 3:19 PM

“Everybody Wants Some” by Van Halen. The opening of the song is priceless.

22. tbliggins - May 14, 2010 at 3:31 PM

I would be willing to give up “New Noise” if MLB wanted to use it as the official 7th inning stretch song.

23. BC - May 14, 2010 at 3:34 PM

How about “Baby Got Back” for a 7th inning stretch song? Then instead of Kiss Cam you could have…. well, you get it.

24. CG Hudson - May 14, 2010 at 4:00 PM

Can’t make up my mind between between the VU’s “White Light/White Heat”, “I Heard Her Call My Name” and “Sister Ray”.

25. mgflolox - May 14, 2010 at 4:24 PM

Hitter: “Operation Spirit” by Live.
    Closer: “Break Stuff” by Limp Bizkit.

Harper vs. Trout? It's just the opening act