Why would a reliever use "Ring of Fire" for his walk-on music?

May 14, 2010, 4:50 PM EDT

Robinson Tejeda headshot.jpgLots of people weighing in on their choice of walkup/coming out of the bullpen music in the earlier thread today. Initial takeaway: man, a lot of you guys like rap metal and 70s guitar bands.  No one wants to walk to the plate listening to The Smiths or The Jesus and Mary Chain? [crickets]

Anywhoo, before I even wrote that post today I got an email from Ron Rollins that is appropriate to the subject:

During the Royals game yesterday, the
announcers were
talking about relief pitcher Robinson Tejeda.
The music he used to have played when he
walked on was “Crazy” by Gnarls Barkley. He said he was walking too many people with
that song,
so he switched to “Ring of Fire.”  Because he was “on fire.”

The fact that a relief pitcher uses “Ring of Fire” as his walk-on music is the most perplexing thing I’ve read all day.  I mean, sure, it’s badass, but c’mon: “I went down, down, down and the flames went higher?”  Really?

Tejeda is officially disqualified from the receiving the Rolaids Fireman of the Year Award. Assuming they still award it. Which is something I’m not entirely sure of.

1. YankeesfanLen - May 14, 2010 at 5:06 PM

Even though the song is 47 years old, it still has the best trumpet salvo I’ve heard in pop music. And it propelled a much more notable music career into crossover, which is more than the Ken Burns look will do for that….what’s his name kid.

2. BCTF - May 14, 2010 at 5:16 PM

That’s the song I used to usher me out of Tijuana after a bachelor party a few years back

3. Ryan Malmstrom - May 14, 2010 at 5:21 PM

I’d use “On the Wall” if i wanted to bore the pitcher off the mound.
    Of course, that’s my favorite album of theirs, so…

4. scatterbrian - May 14, 2010 at 5:44 PM

My takeaway was that lyrics aren’t really that important. There were a few mentions of Led Zeppelin…..what do Hobbits have to do with baseball?

5. scatterbrian - May 14, 2010 at 5:59 PM

RE: The Smiths, not really what you’d expect to hear at a baseball game. This might be blasphemy to some, but Quicksand’s cover of “How Soon Is Now” would be awesome.

6. jwb - May 14, 2010 at 6:14 PM

“Ring of Fire” would be a good song for George Brett and his hemorrhoids. . .

7. FlipYrWhig - May 14, 2010 at 6:15 PM

I always said that I’d have my theme music be “Love Will Tear Us Apart” by Joy Division. And then they’d just want to go mope in the corner and stare at their feet. It’s powerfully de-motivating.

8. Josh - May 14, 2010 at 6:19 PM

If, by the end of the 2010 season, this is the only entry that is tagged “love is a burning thing and it makes a fiery ring” I’ll be sorely disappointed.

9. Zach - May 14, 2010 at 6:22 PM

I’d like to have The National Anthem playing when I took the mound.
    That is, of course, The National Anthem by Radiohead, which would undoubtedly creep-out the opposition into submission. But then again, not in 100 years would Radiohead license out their music for such a purpose (though Capitol Records might).

10. zach2zach - May 14, 2010 at 6:31 PM

Oh wow! Only after posting this did I read the original thread from earlier. Looks like someone else had the same idea. Right on.

11. Tony Abbott - May 14, 2010 at 7:36 PM

You know, if you were a closer, “Asleep” by The Smiths would be a weird choice that would work.
    And I feel like a jerk, I posted The National Anthem on the other thread as well. Sorry for plagiarism.

12. mgflolox - May 14, 2010 at 7:39 PM

Which version of “Ring Of Fire”? Johnny Cash or Social Distortion? I like ‘em both.

13. Ron - May 14, 2010 at 8:03 PM

Johnny Cash.

14. JBerardi - May 15, 2010 at 9:57 AM

When Jed Lowrie first came up for the Red Sox in ’08, his walkup song was the classic punker Teenage Kicks by the Undertones, which I thought was a great choice. But when I returned to Fenway a few weeks later, he’d switched it to some sort of Offspring or maybe Green Day BS. I can only assume that this offense is what brought the hand of God down from the heavens to crush his career.

Who's outside looking in on playoffs?
  1. R. Castillo (3035)