May 15, 2010, 10:51 AM EDT
Searching for more production from a designated hitter spot that has combined for just two home runs (tied for lowest in the league) and a .291 on-base percentage (tied for third lowest), the Athletics have called up Jack Cust from Triple-A Sacramento, reports Mychael Urban of CSNBayArea.com. He’ll be in uniform for Saturday’s game against the Angels.
Cust was designated for assignment by the club after batting .216 with 20 strikeouts over 51 at-bats during spring training. The decision seemed a bit short-sighted at the time, especially considering that the team brought him back on a one-year, $2.65 million contract in January.
Money aside, Cust has amassed a .378 on-base percentage with a .462 slugging percentage over the past
three seasons, numbers that Eric Chavez hasn’t come close to matching (.247/.298/.355 with one home run in 93 at-bats this season).
Cust was batting .273/.444/.436 with four homers and 19 RBI with Triple-A Sacramento, putting up a 33/33 K/BB ratio over 110 at-bats.
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 7
- Make that two: Alex Rodriguez hits second homer of the night, giving him 658 for his career 24
- Alex Rodriguez hit his 657th career home run 43
- Let’s all just stare at Kris Bryant’s numbers for a while 27
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 39
- The wait is over: The Cubs are calling up top prospect Kris Bryant on Friday 99
- Carlos Gomez headed to disabled list with hamstring injury 11
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract 153
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (124)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)