May 15, 2010, 10:51 AM EDT
Searching for more production from a designated hitter spot that has combined for just two home runs (tied for lowest in the league) and a .291 on-base percentage (tied for third lowest), the Athletics have called up Jack Cust from Triple-A Sacramento, reports Mychael Urban of CSNBayArea.com. He’ll be in uniform for Saturday’s game against the Angels.
Cust was designated for assignment by the club after batting .216 with 20 strikeouts over 51 at-bats during spring training. The decision seemed a bit short-sighted at the time, especially considering that the team brought him back on a one-year, $2.65 million contract in January.
Money aside, Cust has amassed a .378 on-base percentage with a .462 slugging percentage over the past
three seasons, numbers that Eric Chavez hasn’t come close to matching (.247/.298/.355 with one home run in 93 at-bats this season).
Cust was batting .273/.444/.436 with four homers and 19 RBI with Triple-A Sacramento, putting up a 33/33 K/BB ratio over 110 at-bats.
- Royals even up World Series with 7-2 Game 2 victory 0
- Craig Kimbrel wins Trevor Hoffman Award; Greg Holland gets Mariano Rivera Award 4
- World Series, Game 2: Giants vs. Royals lineups 9
- HBT Daily: Are the Royals doomed, doomed, doomed? 11
- Giants inhaling the air of superiority after Game 1 7
- What’s in a name? “Big Game” James did not come up big for Kansas City 22
- World Series Reset: The Royals look to pick themselves up off the mat 8
- Royals’ World Series hopes in Yordano Ventura’s hands 7
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (121)
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (120)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (95)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)