May 15, 2010, 8:40 PM EDT
Brad Lidge was diagnosed with elbow inflammation after undergoing an MRI earlier this week and tried to throw a side session Saturday to see if he could pitch through the soreness. It didn’t go well. According to MLB.com’s Todd Zolecki, the 33-year-old right-hander has been placed on the 15-day disabled list retroactive to May 10.
Lidge opened the regular season on the DL and has made only four releif appearances this year. It will be at least another 10 days before he returns to the Phillies’ bullpen, and probably longer.
Jose Contreras picked up his first career save on Saturday against the Brewers and has a great chance to establish himself as a reliable ninth-inning option for the Phils this season.
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 48
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 26
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 13
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 81
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)