May 15, 2010, 8:40 PM EDT
Brad Lidge was diagnosed with elbow inflammation after undergoing an MRI earlier this week and tried to throw a side session Saturday to see if he could pitch through the soreness. It didn’t go well. According to MLB.com’s Todd Zolecki, the 33-year-old right-hander has been placed on the 15-day disabled list retroactive to May 10.
Lidge opened the regular season on the DL and has made only four releif appearances this year. It will be at least another 10 days before he returns to the Phillies’ bullpen, and probably longer.
Jose Contreras picked up his first career save on Saturday against the Brewers and has a great chance to establish himself as a reliable ninth-inning option for the Phils this season.
- Jonathan Papelbon makes it clear, again: He wants out of Philadelphia 28
- Looking at the All-Star team snubs and surprises 44
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 46
- “Final Vote” balloting opens for 2015 MLB All-Star Game 39
- Pitchers and reserves for 2015 MLB All-Star Game announced 64
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 51
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 106
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (106)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)