May 15, 2010, 8:40 PM EST
Brad Lidge was diagnosed with elbow inflammation after undergoing an MRI earlier this week and tried to throw a side session Saturday to see if he could pitch through the soreness. It didn’t go well. According to MLB.com’s Todd Zolecki, the 33-year-old right-hander has been placed on the 15-day disabled list retroactive to May 10.
Lidge opened the regular season on the DL and has made only four releif appearances this year. It will be at least another 10 days before he returns to the Phillies’ bullpen, and probably longer.
Jose Contreras picked up his first career save on Saturday against the Brewers and has a great chance to establish himself as a reliable ninth-inning option for the Phils this season.
- Roy Halladay is retiring 52
- Tony La Russa Bobby Cox, Joe Torre all unanimously elected to the Hall of Fame 42
- Tony Blengino says recent report on Seattle front office is “just the tip of the iceberg” 60
- Rakuten Golden Eagles appear likely to allow Masahiro Tanaka’s departure to MLB 48
- 2013 Winter Meetings Preview 23
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (112)