May 15, 2010, 8:40 PM EST
Brad Lidge was diagnosed with elbow inflammation after undergoing an MRI earlier this week and tried to throw a side session Saturday to see if he could pitch through the soreness. It didn’t go well. According to MLB.com’s Todd Zolecki, the 33-year-old right-hander has been placed on the 15-day disabled list retroactive to May 10.
Lidge opened the regular season on the DL and has made only four releif appearances this year. It will be at least another 10 days before he returns to the Phillies’ bullpen, and probably longer.
Jose Contreras picked up his first career save on Saturday against the Brewers and has a great chance to establish himself as a reliable ninth-inning option for the Phils this season.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 299
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (299)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)