May 15, 2010, 8:40 PM EDT
Brad Lidge was diagnosed with elbow inflammation after undergoing an MRI earlier this week and tried to throw a side session Saturday to see if he could pitch through the soreness. It didn’t go well. According to MLB.com’s Todd Zolecki, the 33-year-old right-hander has been placed on the 15-day disabled list retroactive to May 10.
Lidge opened the regular season on the DL and has made only four releif appearances this year. It will be at least another 10 days before he returns to the Phillies’ bullpen, and probably longer.
Jose Contreras picked up his first career save on Saturday against the Brewers and has a great chance to establish himself as a reliable ninth-inning option for the Phils this season.
- Tigers acquire closer Joakim Soria from the Rangers 9
- Phillies officials “have contemplated the possibility of paying off” and releasing Ryan Howard 29
- The dizzying intellect of Tom Glavine 17
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts 158
- Chase Headley plays the hero in his first game in pinstripes 30
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 29
- Rockies place Troy Tulowitzki on the disabled list 18
- Rob Manfred “heavily favored” to be Bud Selig’s replacement 29
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (158)
- Luke Scott released from Korean team after calling coach a “liar” and a “coward” (108)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (96)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)