May 15, 2010, 12:45 PM EDT
Jason Marquis will miss eight weeks after undergoing surgery to remove bone chips from his right elbow on Friday, reports Bill Ladson of MLB.com.
Marquis, who signed a two-year, $15 million contract with the Nationals in December, posted a disastrous 20.52 ERA and 2.88 WHIP over his first three starts before going on the disabled list with a sore right elbow last month. He opted for surgery after feeling discomfort following a rehab start with Class A Potomac on Tuesday.
There aren’t many positives to take away from Marquis’ first few months in Washington, but Nationals general manager Mike Rizzo told the Washington Post that he equates the right-hander’s eventual return to that of a trade deadline acquisition:
“Hopefully he’s back helping the Nationals win some games,” Rizzo said.
“I’m a big track record guy. I always believe he’s going to revert back
to what he’s always been. This just kind of verified that.
“In a couple months, he comes back, it’s like making a trade. You get,
at the trade deadline, a guy that pitched in the All-Star Game last
year. I think it’ll be a big boost for the club.”
With Stephen Strasburg, Chien-Ming Wang and even Jordan Zimmermann on the way, the Nationals’ rotation could have a dramatically different look in September.
- Orioles acquire Kelly Johnson from the Red Sox 5
- Orioles acquire Alejandro De Aza from the White Sox 5
- Bryce Harper is 15th player in MLB history to reach 50 career homers before age-22 season 30
- The Dodgers took the shift to the extreme last night 47
- VIDEO: Jorge Soler hits two long home runs in third major league game 20
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 18
- Mariners end Jesus Montero’s season 37
- Troy Tulowitzki says he’ll retire before he switches positions 32
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (146)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)