May 15, 2010, 12:45 PM EST
Jason Marquis will miss eight weeks after undergoing surgery to remove bone chips from his right elbow on Friday, reports Bill Ladson of MLB.com.
Marquis, who signed a two-year, $15 million contract with the Nationals in December, posted a disastrous 20.52 ERA and 2.88 WHIP over his first three starts before going on the disabled list with a sore right elbow last month. He opted for surgery after feeling discomfort following a rehab start with Class A Potomac on Tuesday.
There aren’t many positives to take away from Marquis’ first few months in Washington, but Nationals general manager Mike Rizzo told the Washington Post that he equates the right-hander’s eventual return to that of a trade deadline acquisition:
“Hopefully he’s back helping the Nationals win some games,” Rizzo said.
“I’m a big track record guy. I always believe he’s going to revert back
to what he’s always been. This just kind of verified that.
“In a couple months, he comes back, it’s like making a trade. You get,
at the trade deadline, a guy that pitched in the All-Star Game last
year. I think it’ll be a big boost for the club.”
With Stephen Strasburg, Chien-Ming Wang and even Jordan Zimmermann on the way, the Nationals’ rotation could have a dramatically different look in September.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (134)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)