May 15, 2010, 12:45 PM EDT
Jason Marquis will miss eight weeks after undergoing surgery to remove bone chips from his right elbow on Friday, reports Bill Ladson of MLB.com.
Marquis, who signed a two-year, $15 million contract with the Nationals in December, posted a disastrous 20.52 ERA and 2.88 WHIP over his first three starts before going on the disabled list with a sore right elbow last month. He opted for surgery after feeling discomfort following a rehab start with Class A Potomac on Tuesday.
There aren’t many positives to take away from Marquis’ first few months in Washington, but Nationals general manager Mike Rizzo told the Washington Post that he equates the right-hander’s eventual return to that of a trade deadline acquisition:
“Hopefully he’s back helping the Nationals win some games,” Rizzo said.
“I’m a big track record guy. I always believe he’s going to revert back
to what he’s always been. This just kind of verified that.
“In a couple months, he comes back, it’s like making a trade. You get,
at the trade deadline, a guy that pitched in the All-Star Game last
year. I think it’ll be a big boost for the club.”
With Stephen Strasburg, Chien-Ming Wang and even Jordan Zimmermann on the way, the Nationals’ rotation could have a dramatically different look in September.
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 4
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 7
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 27
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 58
- Matt Cain is going to pay a visit to Dr. Andrews 4
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode 78
- The Red Sox are expected to deal Jon Lester and the Pirates are a “dark horse” 36
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 49
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (189)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (101)
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence (91)