May 15, 2010, 12:45 PM EDT
Jason Marquis will miss eight weeks after undergoing surgery to remove bone chips from his right elbow on Friday, reports Bill Ladson of MLB.com.
Marquis, who signed a two-year, $15 million contract with the Nationals in December, posted a disastrous 20.52 ERA and 2.88 WHIP over his first three starts before going on the disabled list with a sore right elbow last month. He opted for surgery after feeling discomfort following a rehab start with Class A Potomac on Tuesday.
There aren’t many positives to take away from Marquis’ first few months in Washington, but Nationals general manager Mike Rizzo told the Washington Post that he equates the right-hander’s eventual return to that of a trade deadline acquisition:
“Hopefully he’s back helping the Nationals win some games,” Rizzo said.
“I’m a big track record guy. I always believe he’s going to revert back
to what he’s always been. This just kind of verified that.
“In a couple months, he comes back, it’s like making a trade. You get,
at the trade deadline, a guy that pitched in the All-Star Game last
year. I think it’ll be a big boost for the club.”
With Stephen Strasburg, Chien-Ming Wang and even Jordan Zimmermann on the way, the Nationals’ rotation could have a dramatically different look in September.
- The Rockies “aren’t looking around very hard” for a trade of star shortstop Troy Tulowitzki 13
- Jury finds the Dodgers partially negligent, awards $18 million to Bryan Stow 41
- Masahiro Tanaka injured: Yankees ace to undergo an MRI exam on his right arm 60
- David Ortiz is not pleased that his name got pulled into the John Lackey-Nelson Cruz thing 99
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 64
- Cardinals “looking for offense” … not Jake Peavy 31
- 2014 Home Run Derby participants … 28
- Billy Beane: The age of “baseball insiders” vs. “baseball outsiders” will soon be over 58
- John Lackey on Nelson Cruz: “Not even going to comment … I’ve got nothing to say about him” (143)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (126)
- The 2014 All-Star rosters have been announced (103)
- Giants broadcaster says Angel Hernandez “does not belong in the big leagues” (101)
- David Ortiz is not pleased that his name got pulled into the John Lackey-Nelson Cruz thing (99)