May 15, 2010, 12:45 PM EDT
Jason Marquis will miss eight weeks after undergoing surgery to remove bone chips from his right elbow on Friday, reports Bill Ladson of MLB.com.
Marquis, who signed a two-year, $15 million contract with the Nationals in December, posted a disastrous 20.52 ERA and 2.88 WHIP over his first three starts before going on the disabled list with a sore right elbow last month. He opted for surgery after feeling discomfort following a rehab start with Class A Potomac on Tuesday.
There aren’t many positives to take away from Marquis’ first few months in Washington, but Nationals general manager Mike Rizzo told the Washington Post that he equates the right-hander’s eventual return to that of a trade deadline acquisition:
“Hopefully he’s back helping the Nationals win some games,” Rizzo said.
“I’m a big track record guy. I always believe he’s going to revert back
to what he’s always been. This just kind of verified that.
“In a couple months, he comes back, it’s like making a trade. You get,
at the trade deadline, a guy that pitched in the All-Star Game last
year. I think it’ll be a big boost for the club.”
With Stephen Strasburg, Chien-Ming Wang and even Jordan Zimmermann on the way, the Nationals’ rotation could have a dramatically different look in September.
- A fan died at Turner Field after falling from the upper deck 0
- Mets acquire Addison Reed from the Diamondbacks 8
- Vin Scully says 2016 will be his last season of broadcasting 23
- Edwin Encarnacion slugs three home runs as Blue Jays thrash Tigers 17
- Mark Teixeira says he’s having “serious pain” when he tries to run 13
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 23
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 43
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 11
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (264)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)