May 15, 2010, 5:45 PM EDT
According to Wallace Matthews of ESPNNewYork, Yankees general manager Brian Cashman said that Nick Johnson may need surgery to remove inflamed tissue from his right wrist.
Johnson was already expected to miss four weeks, but if the injury requires surgery, he would likely miss an additional four to six weeks, placing his return somewhere around early August. The team is currently hoping that the wrist responds to a recent cortisone shot.
“It’s my intention to learn if [the shot] worked as soon as possible,”
Cashman said on the field at Yankee Stadium before Saturday’s
Yankees-Twins game. “If not, then we want to go right to the surgery.
When healthy, we know what this guy can do, but he can’t do anything for
us right now.”
Johnson, who was signed to a one-year, $5.75 million contract during the winter, was batting .167/.388/.306 with two homers, eight RBI and a 23/24 K/BB ratio before injuring the wrist last Friday against the Red Sox.
Cashman, who said that he “knew what he was getting into” when he signed Johnson, said that for now, the team will use players from the current roster or Triple-A — like Juan Miranda — to take his place in the lineup. I’ll put extra emphasis on for now.
While surgery is a sobering possibility for Bombers fans, the good news is that Nick Swisher was back in the lineup on Saturday and Andy Pettitte didn’t skip a beat in his return to the rotation, tossing 6 1/3 innings of shutout ball in a 7-1 win over the Twins.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 0
- “Final Vote” balloting opens for 2015 MLB All-Star Game 30
- Pitchers and reserves for 2015 MLB All-Star Game announced 56
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 51
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 106
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 20
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 10
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (106)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)