May 15, 2010, 12:49 PM EDT
The Rays have designated designated hitter Pat Burrell for assignment in order to make room for Hank Blalock, according to the Tampa Tribune.
Burrell, 33, has been a tremendous failure since signing a two-year, $16 million contract with the club in January of 2009, posting a pathetic .218/.311/.361 batting line and just 16 homers over 572 plate appearances. He was batting 202/.292/.333 with two homers and 13 RBI over his first 84 at-bats this season.
The Rays did their best to trade Burrell during the offseason, including protracted talks with the Cubs involving Milton Bradley, however a trade never materialized. Now they’ll pay him $9 million this season just to go away.
Blalock, 29, was batting .349/.405/.505 with four home runs and 24 RBI with Triple-A Durham. Earlier this week, his agent Scott Boras told Marc Topkin of the St. Petersburg Times that his client planned to use an opt-clause in his contract if he wasn’t promoted to the major league roster. Now that Burrell is out of the way, Blalock figures to be the primary designated hitter and backup first baseman for the struggling Carlos Pena.
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 21
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 31
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 74
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 32
- Blue Jays will name Mark Shapiro as the new team president 31
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 2
- Cubs expected to call up Javier Baez on September 1 6
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 13
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (124)