May 16, 2010, 10:14 AM EST
Dylan Hernandez of the Los Angeles Times tweeted late Saturday night that Dodgers outfielder Andre Ethier has been diagnosed with a fracture at the tip of his right pinkie finger. It’s horrible news, especially when you consider how important Ethier has been for the red-hot 19-17 Dodgers this season.
Ethier, 28, leads the team in home runs (with 11), RBI (38) and OPS (1201). He’s also sporting a Major League-best .392 batting average through 125 at-bats this season and has tallied 11 game-winning hits since 2008.
The Dodgers have not revealed enough information to give us a clear picture of how the fracture might affect Ethier moving forward. Many players in the past have been able to fight through tiny breaks and continue slugging. Then again, others have required surgeries and long stays on the disabled list. We should all know more once the outfielder is reevaluated Sunday in Los Angeles.
If he is forced the miss time, the Dodgers could call up Xavier Paul, who is doing quite well this season at Triple-A Albuquerque with a .382/.427/.60 batting line in 76 at-bats. Garret Anderson could also be asked to play more frequently in the outfield. And same goes for Reed Johnson.
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 31
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 34
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 116
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 46
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 17
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 75
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (144)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (117)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)