May 16, 2010, 1:34 PM EST
UPDATE: Duchscherer has been placed back on the disabled list, according to MLB.com’s Jane Lee. Chad Gaudin has been designated for assignment. And Kurt Suzuki was activated from the disabled list.
11:40am: Justin Duchscherer was activated Saturday after spending three weeks on the disabled list and was scheduled to start last night against the Angels. But something went wrong with his hip during pregame drills and he was scratched in favor of Tyson Ross.
“As I was throwing (on flat ground), my hip felt OK, but it just got
kind of achy,” Duchscherer said Saturday. “Then when I was in the bullpen, I just
couldn’t find a way to land without having pain. I started throwing from the stretch, and then I told [pitching coach Curt Young]: `I can’t throw like this.”‘
A’s manager Bob Geren indicated in his post-game press conference that Duchscherer is likely to land on the disabled list yet again. And now the “Duke of Hurl” himself is worried that the injury might require surgery:
“If I have to have surgery, I’m done for the year,” Duchscherer said.
“That’s obviously not an option I want to explore unless it’s
absolutely necessary. I don’t want to do it. It’s very mentally
Hopefully he can avoid the procedure and get back on track in a couple of weeks. Duchscherer has made five starts this year and currently stands 2-1 with a 2.89 ERA and 1.36 WHIP.
- Royals sign Edinson Volquez for two years, $20 million 25
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade 80
- Sergio Romo re-signs with the Giants for $15 million 14
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 46
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba 143
- Marlins complete Michael Morse deal: two years, $16 million 19
- Padres, Rays, Mariners discussing trade involving Wil Myers 36
- It is perfectly clear that A-Rod is the Yankees’ DH. At best. So there will be no drama, right? 37
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (143)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (110)
- Done Deal: Yoenis Cespedes and two players traded to Detroit for Rick Porcello and a minor leaguer (105)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)