May 16, 2010, 1:34 PM EDT
UPDATE: Duchscherer has been placed back on the disabled list, according to MLB.com’s Jane Lee. Chad Gaudin has been designated for assignment. And Kurt Suzuki was activated from the disabled list.
11:40am: Justin Duchscherer was activated Saturday after spending three weeks on the disabled list and was scheduled to start last night against the Angels. But something went wrong with his hip during pregame drills and he was scratched in favor of Tyson Ross.
“As I was throwing (on flat ground), my hip felt OK, but it just got
kind of achy,” Duchscherer said Saturday. “Then when I was in the bullpen, I just
couldn’t find a way to land without having pain. I started throwing from the stretch, and then I told [pitching coach Curt Young]: `I can’t throw like this.”‘
A’s manager Bob Geren indicated in his post-game press conference that Duchscherer is likely to land on the disabled list yet again. And now the “Duke of Hurl” himself is worried that the injury might require surgery:
“If I have to have surgery, I’m done for the year,” Duchscherer said.
“That’s obviously not an option I want to explore unless it’s
absolutely necessary. I don’t want to do it. It’s very mentally
Hopefully he can avoid the procedure and get back on track in a couple of weeks. Duchscherer has made five starts this year and currently stands 2-1 with a 2.89 ERA and 1.36 WHIP.
- Playoff Reset: The American League Wild Card Game 9
- REPORT: The Astros to name A.J. Hinch their new manager today 18
- Twins fire manager Ron Gardenhire 35
- Pouliot’s 2014 American League awards picks 18
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs 79
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 84
- Reds beat Pirates behind Johnny Cueto, hand National League Central title to St. Louis 20
- Video: Steven Souza Jr. makes sensational catch to secure Jordan Zimmermann’s no-no 24
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (84)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (79)
- Bud Selig says A-Rod will “have a clean slate” once his suspension is over (78)