May 16, 2010, 1:34 PM EDT
UPDATE: Duchscherer has been placed back on the disabled list, according to MLB.com’s Jane Lee. Chad Gaudin has been designated for assignment. And Kurt Suzuki was activated from the disabled list.
11:40am: Justin Duchscherer was activated Saturday after spending three weeks on the disabled list and was scheduled to start last night against the Angels. But something went wrong with his hip during pregame drills and he was scratched in favor of Tyson Ross.
“As I was throwing (on flat ground), my hip felt OK, but it just got
kind of achy,” Duchscherer said Saturday. “Then when I was in the bullpen, I just
couldn’t find a way to land without having pain. I started throwing from the stretch, and then I told [pitching coach Curt Young]: `I can’t throw like this.”‘
A’s manager Bob Geren indicated in his post-game press conference that Duchscherer is likely to land on the disabled list yet again. And now the “Duke of Hurl” himself is worried that the injury might require surgery:
“If I have to have surgery, I’m done for the year,” Duchscherer said.
“That’s obviously not an option I want to explore unless it’s
absolutely necessary. I don’t want to do it. It’s very mentally
Hopefully he can avoid the procedure and get back on track in a couple of weeks. Duchscherer has made five starts this year and currently stands 2-1 with a 2.89 ERA and 1.36 WHIP.
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore 125
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 18
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 46
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 48
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 353
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 60
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 5
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (354)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (194)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (162)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)