May 16, 2010, 6:50 PM EDT
Indians center fielder Grady Sizemore was lifted from Saturday’s game in the fifth inning with a left knee contusion, reports MLB.com’s Jeff Seidel. He suffered the injury on a slide into second base at the end of the fourth and was replaced by Trevor Crowe.
Crowe is 3-for-6 with a home run and two RBI since being called up from Triple-A Columbus on Saturday. He may be asked to play the next several games in center.
Sizemore could probably use some rest, no matter how severe his injury proves to be. He’s batting a disappointing .211 in 128 at-bats this year with a .271 on-base percentage and zero home runs. The Indians are 17-20 this season, seven games back of the Tigers in the American League Central standings.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 9
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 49
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 12
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 108
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 56
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (108)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (86)