May 17, 2010, 8:32 PM EDT
UPDATE: Anthony Castrovince of MLB.com reports that Cabrera injured his left forearm. The team is expected to update his condition after the game.
8:14 AM: Asdrubal Cabrera left Monday’s game against the Rays with an injury to his left arm, reports Paul Hoynes of the Cleveland Plain Dealer.
Cabrera suffered the injury during a collision with third baseman Jhonny Peralta while trying to make a play for a groundball hit by Hank Blalock in the first inning. At the time, Cabrera was shifted over second base while Peralta was in the shortstop position.
Cabrera was in a noticeable amount of pain as he was carted off the field with his left arm wrapped. He was replaced in the lineup by Luis Valbuena.
Should Cabrera have to miss a significant amount of time, Hoynes mentions prospect infielder Jason Donald as a possibility to take his place. Donald, 25, was acquired from the Phillies last July in the Cliff Lee trade. He is batting .281/.398/.430 with two homers, 10 doubles and 17 RBI over his first 135 at-bats with Triple-A Columbus while splitting time between second base and shortstop.
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 50
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 29
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 51
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 17
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 39
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (77)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)