May 17, 2010, 8:32 PM EDT
UPDATE: Anthony Castrovince of MLB.com reports that Cabrera injured his left forearm. The team is expected to update his condition after the game.
8:14 AM: Asdrubal Cabrera left Monday’s game against the Rays with an injury to his left arm, reports Paul Hoynes of the Cleveland Plain Dealer.
Cabrera suffered the injury during a collision with third baseman Jhonny Peralta while trying to make a play for a groundball hit by Hank Blalock in the first inning. At the time, Cabrera was shifted over second base while Peralta was in the shortstop position.
Cabrera was in a noticeable amount of pain as he was carted off the field with his left arm wrapped. He was replaced in the lineup by Luis Valbuena.
Should Cabrera have to miss a significant amount of time, Hoynes mentions prospect infielder Jason Donald as a possibility to take his place. Donald, 25, was acquired from the Phillies last July in the Cliff Lee trade. He is batting .281/.398/.430 with two homers, 10 doubles and 17 RBI over his first 135 at-bats with Triple-A Columbus while splitting time between second base and shortstop.
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 4
- The Lester trade is a win-win 87
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 147
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 53
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 91
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 57
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (147)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (120)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (105)