May 17, 2010, 11:43 AM EDT
Bronson Arroyo allowed two runs in a complete-game win over the Cardinals yesterday, holding Albert Pujols to 0-for-3 with a walk, and afterward said the reigning MVP looks “uncomfortable” at the plate.
Right now, Albert looks a little bit more uncomfortable at the plate than you’re used to seeing. Even that being said, you still have to make great pitches to get him out. I don’t think anything is wrong with him physically.
Watching him this series I thought he was a little quick. I think a lot of offspeed stuff was getting him out. Maybe he doesn’t have as good a pitch recognition right now that you expect. But we’ve seen that in the past. Guys have struck him out twice in a game on balls off the plate. Then you see him a month later and he’s killing everything. He goes through funks like everybody else.
Arroyo may be right, as Pujols is just 14-for-55 (.255) with one homer in 15 games this month. On the other hand, even while slumping he has an OPS above .800 and, more importantly, YOU DON’T TUG ON SUPERMAN’S CAPE.
Arroyo really didn’t say anything bad, but the Reds play the Cardinals another nine times this season and giving Pujols any extra motivation sounds like a horrendous idea. As is he’s hit .308 with a .410 on-base percentage and .577 slugging percentage 61 plate appearances versus Arroyo, striking out just three times.
- Kevin Youkilis opts for retirement at age 35 27
- 10 nominees for Hall of Fame’s Veterans Committee announced 94
- Bochy’s championship resume ranks among game’s best 17
- Alex Gordon would have been a dead duck had he tried to score 80
- Video: Pablo Sandoval catches final out in foul territory, Giants win 2014 World Series 10
- Madison Bumgarner pitches the Giants to their third World Series win in five seasons 93
- Madison Bumgarner named World Series MVP … obviously 21
- Pablo Sandoval sets new postseason hits record 10
- A veteran says enough is enough when it comes to tributes for the soldiers (280)
- Jose Canseco shot his middle finger off (148)
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (142)
- Oscar Taveras dies after car accident in the Dominican Republic (140)
- 10-0! The Royals romp, tie it up at three games a piece (109)