May 17, 2010, 11:43 AM EDT
Bronson Arroyo allowed two runs in a complete-game win over the Cardinals yesterday, holding Albert Pujols to 0-for-3 with a walk, and afterward said the reigning MVP looks “uncomfortable” at the plate.
Right now, Albert looks a little bit more uncomfortable at the plate than you’re used to seeing. Even that being said, you still have to make great pitches to get him out. I don’t think anything is wrong with him physically.
Watching him this series I thought he was a little quick. I think a lot of offspeed stuff was getting him out. Maybe he doesn’t have as good a pitch recognition right now that you expect. But we’ve seen that in the past. Guys have struck him out twice in a game on balls off the plate. Then you see him a month later and he’s killing everything. He goes through funks like everybody else.
Arroyo may be right, as Pujols is just 14-for-55 (.255) with one homer in 15 games this month. On the other hand, even while slumping he has an OPS above .800 and, more importantly, YOU DON’T TUG ON SUPERMAN’S CAPE.
Arroyo really didn’t say anything bad, but the Reds play the Cardinals another nine times this season and giving Pujols any extra motivation sounds like a horrendous idea. As is he’s hit .308 with a .410 on-base percentage and .577 slugging percentage 61 plate appearances versus Arroyo, striking out just three times.
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore 125
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 18
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 46
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 48
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 353
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 60
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 5
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (355)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (198)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (162)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)