May 17, 2010, 11:43 AM EDT
Bronson Arroyo allowed two runs in a complete-game win over the Cardinals yesterday, holding Albert Pujols to 0-for-3 with a walk, and afterward said the reigning MVP looks “uncomfortable” at the plate.
Right now, Albert looks a little bit more uncomfortable at the plate than you’re used to seeing. Even that being said, you still have to make great pitches to get him out. I don’t think anything is wrong with him physically.
Watching him this series I thought he was a little quick. I think a lot of offspeed stuff was getting him out. Maybe he doesn’t have as good a pitch recognition right now that you expect. But we’ve seen that in the past. Guys have struck him out twice in a game on balls off the plate. Then you see him a month later and he’s killing everything. He goes through funks like everybody else.
Arroyo may be right, as Pujols is just 14-for-55 (.255) with one homer in 15 games this month. On the other hand, even while slumping he has an OPS above .800 and, more importantly, YOU DON’T TUG ON SUPERMAN’S CAPE.
Arroyo really didn’t say anything bad, but the Reds play the Cardinals another nine times this season and giving Pujols any extra motivation sounds like a horrendous idea. As is he’s hit .308 with a .410 on-base percentage and .577 slugging percentage 61 plate appearances versus Arroyo, striking out just three times.
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 4
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 61
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 17
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 27
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 31
- Impending free agent Jon Lester won’t talk contract with the Red Sox until after the season 18
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry 84
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 30
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Luke Scott released from Korean team after calling coach a “liar” and a “coward” (108)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)