May 17, 2010, 11:43 AM EST
Bronson Arroyo allowed two runs in a complete-game win over the Cardinals yesterday, holding Albert Pujols to 0-for-3 with a walk, and afterward said the reigning MVP looks “uncomfortable” at the plate.
Right now, Albert looks a little bit more uncomfortable at the plate than you’re used to seeing. Even that being said, you still have to make great pitches to get him out. I don’t think anything is wrong with him physically.
Watching him this series I thought he was a little quick. I think a lot of offspeed stuff was getting him out. Maybe he doesn’t have as good a pitch recognition right now that you expect. But we’ve seen that in the past. Guys have struck him out twice in a game on balls off the plate. Then you see him a month later and he’s killing everything. He goes through funks like everybody else.
Arroyo may be right, as Pujols is just 14-for-55 (.255) with one homer in 15 games this month. On the other hand, even while slumping he has an OPS above .800 and, more importantly, YOU DON’T TUG ON SUPERMAN’S CAPE.
Arroyo really didn’t say anything bad, but the Reds play the Cardinals another nine times this season and giving Pujols any extra motivation sounds like a horrendous idea. As is he’s hit .308 with a .410 on-base percentage and .577 slugging percentage 61 plate appearances versus Arroyo, striking out just three times.
- Grant Balfour may file a grievance over Orioles’ decision to back out of contract 18
- Former Major Leaguer Gabe Kapler wants collisions to remain part of the game 27
- Carlos Beltran introduced by the Yankees, takes a shot at the Mets 29
- The Grant Balfour-Orioles deal is dead 25
- Kevin Youkilis is going to play in Japan 30
- Hall of Fame voting expert: Greg Maddux makes it. No one else does. (105)
- I don’t know what the best baseball song is, but it ain’t John freakin’ Fogerty (101)
- Happy Birthday, Ty Cobb! (89)
- ‘Tis the season for people acting incredibly dumb (74)
- The Yankees agree to a one-year, $2 million deal with Brian Roberts (74)