May 17, 2010, 5:15 PM EDT
Carlos Delgado was interviewed by the Puerto Rican paper El Nuevo Dia, and said that he hopes to return to action in July. He’s not totally deluded about his chances — he just had his second hip operation in less than a year — but he thinks he can still contribute in a limited role.
Based on what we were hearing about his mobility this winter, I’d guess that fielding is right out, so DH is probably his only chance. But what team is going to want to sign an old and very likely ineffective guy to be its designated hitter?
Aside from the Mariners anyway, who have like three guys who fit that description.
- 2014 Preview: Chicago Cubs 1
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” 34
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 18
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 60
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 12