May 17, 2010, 5:15 PM EDT
Carlos Delgado was interviewed by the Puerto Rican paper El Nuevo Dia, and said that he hopes to return to action in July. He’s not totally deluded about his chances — he just had his second hip operation in less than a year — but he thinks he can still contribute in a limited role.
Based on what we were hearing about his mobility this winter, I’d guess that fielding is right out, so DH is probably his only chance. But what team is going to want to sign an old and very likely ineffective guy to be its designated hitter?
Aside from the Mariners anyway, who have like three guys who fit that description.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 34
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 27
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 38
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 49
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 137
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 89
- The Lester trade is a win-win 113
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (137)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)
- Tampa Bay news station tweets classless Detroit joke following David Price trade (122)