May 17, 2010, 5:15 PM EDT
Carlos Delgado was interviewed by the Puerto Rican paper El Nuevo Dia, and said that he hopes to return to action in July. He’s not totally deluded about his chances — he just had his second hip operation in less than a year — but he thinks he can still contribute in a limited role.
Based on what we were hearing about his mobility this winter, I’d guess that fielding is right out, so DH is probably his only chance. But what team is going to want to sign an old and very likely ineffective guy to be its designated hitter?
Aside from the Mariners anyway, who have like three guys who fit that description.
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 51
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 16
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 54
- Pete Rose will be allowed to participate in All-Star Game festivities 69
- Career over? Joe Nathan needs Tommy John surgery 31
- Contact and controversy in the ninth inning of last night’s Dodgers-Giants game 54
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (115)