May 17, 2010, 5:15 PM EDT
Carlos Delgado was interviewed by the Puerto Rican paper El Nuevo Dia, and said that he hopes to return to action in July. He’s not totally deluded about his chances — he just had his second hip operation in less than a year — but he thinks he can still contribute in a limited role.
Based on what we were hearing about his mobility this winter, I’d guess that fielding is right out, so DH is probably his only chance. But what team is going to want to sign an old and very likely ineffective guy to be its designated hitter?
Aside from the Mariners anyway, who have like three guys who fit that description.
- Christian Vazquez to undergo Tommy John surgery 9
- 2015 Preview: Colorado Rockies 4
- 2015 Preview: Minnesota Twins 18
- 2015 Preview: Philadelphia Phillies 30
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 47
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 22
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 21
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (91)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)