Dodgers minor leaguers save a dude's life

May 17, 2010, 5:45 PM EDT

As God is my witness I thought turkeys could run:

A pair of Dodgers’ prospects in Midland, Mich., are being given credit
for helping to save a life last Sunday.

The pair of Single-A
Great Lakes players from the Dominican Republic were passengers in a car
on the highway when they saw a motorcyclist in front of them hit a
turkey.

The players — Rafael Ynoa and Elisaul Pimentel — were on their way to a doubleheader when the accident happened.  They got out and, with the help of fellow passengers, who included a nurse, gave the motorcyclist CPR.  He was taken the hospital in a coma but has since improved, according to the Los Angeles Times.

The turkey was reported to be in critical but delicious condition as of press time.

1. curt - May 17, 2010 at 6:09 PM

wkrp. nice

2. curt - May 17, 2010 at 6:10 PM

wkrp. nice

3. Ben - May 17, 2010 at 6:18 PM

Too bad it wasn’t Jimmy Gobble.

4. Oscar - May 17, 2010 at 6:32 PM

Good thing it wasn’t during spring training in Arizona — the cops would have interrupted the CPR to ask them for their immigration papers.

5. Ron - May 17, 2010 at 6:52 PM

Why do you assume that they are foreigners and not American citizens? Because of their names? Pretty racist.
    And since it’s the law that they would have to carry thier papers as foreigners (if they are), then why wouldn’t they have them?

6. Ken - May 17, 2010 at 6:58 PM

I think he got the idea they were foreigners because the article said they were from the Dominican Republic. When I went to school that wasn’t in the U.S. I’m fairly sure that hasn’t changed.

7. Dberg - May 17, 2010 at 7:23 PM

How about because it says they are “from the Dominican Republic.” I’d say that’s a pretty big clue, Ron.

8. Oscar - May 17, 2010 at 7:36 PM

Thank you, Ken and Dberg.

9. Real Vikings fans wouldn't cheer for Favre - May 17, 2010 at 9:02 PM

Ron OWNED! lmaoooo wow! ZING! He tried to sound like the smart one and didn’t even bother reading the story.
    cool story btw

10. Officer Friendly - May 17, 2010 at 9:56 PM

Well, Mr. Ron, It seems that you do not read English too well. Do you have proof of legal residence on you? A U.S. passport? A U.S. birth certificate? No? You’ll have to come with me. I’m sure it won’t take long to straighten this out.
    It only took me six weeks to get a copy of a death certificate for my sister. That won’t inconvenience you in any way, I’m sure.

11. Mor - May 17, 2010 at 10:53 PM

Explain to me how a police officer knows if you are here legally. The only way they can legitimaly know is if you show them your papers. Every person is required to have these papers in Arizona, citizen or not. So if you go for a walk down to the store and don’t bring along your drivers license, your in trouble.

12. jwb - May 17, 2010 at 11:15 PM

“So if you go for a walk down to the store and don’t bring along your drivers license”
    It a bit worse than that from a tourist standpoint. If your state does not require proof of legal residence to issue a driver’s license, a DL is not sufficient. Illinois, my state, does not.

13. Jonny5 - May 18, 2010 at 9:13 AM

I’ve been waiting for this…. It seems the time of reckoning is upon us, The Turkeys are revolting. Please cancel thanksgiving to save our souls.. Heaven help us..

14. Ron - May 18, 2010 at 1:40 PM

Fair enough. I didn’t read the quoted part. My mistake. My orignal statement still goes. Since they are requried (by law) to have their papers with them, then what is the problem?
    If they’re following the law, they don’t have any issues. If they are breaking the law by not having their papers, then they would have a problem.
    To the orignal point by Oscar: saying the police would stop them from perfroming CPR and letting the guy die just so he could check their papers is stupid. I personally know a lot of cops, to include many from Arizona when I lived there, down on the border, and none of them would ever do that. I have respect for the police and their abilities. To bad you don’t.
    Officer Friendly: I’m an immigrant in the country where I live, which happens to have a huge immigration problem. I look just like a large majority of the population and speak with an accent for the country I’m in. I’m required by law to carry my immigration papers with me at all times. If I don’t, I’m wrong. So what was your point?

15. Young Gopher - May 18, 2010 at 1:52 PM

Hopefully the turkey’s family are in contact with Cass Sunstein so that he can help them find legal representation.

16. Oscar - May 18, 2010 at 2:34 PM

Ron: Obviously I was being a little snarky and over the top — I don’t seriously believe the cops would stop the minor leaguers from performing CPR and let the guy die. But I could see such a law dissuading any immigrants — legal or not — from being Good Samaritans in such a situation, so they wouldn’t need to deal with any potential headaches.
    It’s clear that I disagree with Arizona’s law and you support it. But let me ask you this: what if you were a US Citizen living in Arizona who happened to be Mexican-American? In that case, do you think the cops in Arizona would be justified in asking for your papers? US citizens don’t need to carry proof of their citizenship anywhere, last I checked (I’m a citizen and certainly don’t carry my passport or social security card around with me on a regular basis). But that doesn’t mean that the authorities in Arizona wouldn’t hassle a citizen about it just because he or she happens to be an American with a Latino background. In the end, it’s not the illegals’ rights that I’m primarily concerned about — it’s the rights of legal residents as well as US citizens.
    Apologies for injecting this into a baseball forum, but Craig does seem to be into this issue so I didn’t think it would be entirely out of bounds.

17. Ron - May 18, 2010 at 6:18 PM

I’ve actually lived in Arizona. Down on the border. I have many friends who are Americans of Mexican descent. Not Mexicans, as many people like to refer to them as. The police there are used to dealing with aliens, whether legal or illegal, and know how to deal with the situation.
    They can also tell the difference between American citizens and residents, and any other issue you want to name. They have been dealing with this issue for a century. They are trained on this, and have been long before this law came out.
    There are Border Patrol stations all over the state that stop EVERYTONE and aske for identification and search cars regardless of the person driving. They know how to do this.
    Accussing the police of abusing their power is completely disrespectful to all of them, and a complete over reaction to something you have obviously never dealt with on a first-hand basis, but for some reason feel the need to spout your ignorance of the situation. Again, why do you assume that this law is geared towards Mexicans? Mexcians are a very samll percentage of the illegals that come across the border. There are more illegals from Central America, South America, and Asia than Mexicans that come across the border.
    Your refusal to acknowledge the fact that not every Latino is Mexican, and that they come in all colors and backgrounds, shows your racist attitude and inabilty to actually understand the situation

Yanks, Cards and Reds hit with injury bug