May 17, 2010, 10:58 PM EDT
UPDATE: According to a tweet by Frisaro, it turns out Marlins manager Fredi Gonzalez did bench Ramirez because of his poor effort on the field:
“He got smoked w’ the ball in the ankle. But
whether he’s hurt or not hurt, we felt like the effort wasn’t there.”
9:35 PM: Joe Frisaro of MLB.com reports that Ramirez exited Monday’s game with a sore left ankle.
9:01 PM: Hanley Ramirez was pulled from Monday’s game against the Diamondbacks after just two innings, reports Joe Capozzi of the Palm Beach Post. We’re still not sure about the reason why.
There are two possible explanations. One, Ramirez fouled a ball off his left foot in the first inning. Two, I’m not going to say he didn’t hustle, but let’s just say that he took his sweet time after accidentally kicking a ball hit by Tony Abreu into the left field corner in the top of the second inning. Two runs scored on the play and Abreu ended up at third base. If his foot was bothering him, that could help to explain why he wasn’t exactly sprinting.
In any case, Marlins manager Fredi Gonzalez could be seen talking to Ramirez before the shortstop gathered his things and left the dugout. Brian Barden came out to play shortstop to start the third inning.
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 1
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 0
- Marlins officially shut down Giancarlo Stanton for the season 5
- Umpire Joe West suspended for one game for his part in the Jonathan Papelbon incident 54
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 83
- Jose Altuve breaks Craig Biggio’s franchise record, tallying his 211th hit of the season 12
- Orioles beat Blue Jays to clinch AL East title 38
- Tanner Roark dominates as Nationals clinch NL East 22
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (88)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)