May 17, 2010, 10:58 PM EDT
UPDATE: According to a tweet by Frisaro, it turns out Marlins manager Fredi Gonzalez did bench Ramirez because of his poor effort on the field:
“He got smoked w’ the ball in the ankle. But
whether he’s hurt or not hurt, we felt like the effort wasn’t there.”
9:35 PM: Joe Frisaro of MLB.com reports that Ramirez exited Monday’s game with a sore left ankle.
9:01 PM: Hanley Ramirez was pulled from Monday’s game against the Diamondbacks after just two innings, reports Joe Capozzi of the Palm Beach Post. We’re still not sure about the reason why.
There are two possible explanations. One, Ramirez fouled a ball off his left foot in the first inning. Two, I’m not going to say he didn’t hustle, but let’s just say that he took his sweet time after accidentally kicking a ball hit by Tony Abreu into the left field corner in the top of the second inning. Two runs scored on the play and Abreu ended up at third base. If his foot was bothering him, that could help to explain why he wasn’t exactly sprinting.
In any case, Marlins manager Fredi Gonzalez could be seen talking to Ramirez before the shortstop gathered his things and left the dugout. Brian Barden came out to play shortstop to start the third inning.
- Jake Westbrook feeling lingering discomfort in right elbow 2
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case 56
- Rafael Soriano took back all that stuff he said about Bryce Harper 12
- Don Mattingly may be uttering his last words as Dodgers manager 48
- Jaime Garcia needs shoulder surgery 9
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (117)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (110)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (74)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (70)
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Live Extra: Watch NHL Live postgame show
- LIVE: Heat host Pacers in Game 1 of East finals
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger