May 17, 2010, 10:58 PM EST
UPDATE: According to a tweet by Frisaro, it turns out Marlins manager Fredi Gonzalez did bench Ramirez because of his poor effort on the field:
“He got smoked w’ the ball in the ankle. But
whether he’s hurt or not hurt, we felt like the effort wasn’t there.”
9:35 PM: Joe Frisaro of MLB.com reports that Ramirez exited Monday’s game with a sore left ankle.
9:01 PM: Hanley Ramirez was pulled from Monday’s game against the Diamondbacks after just two innings, reports Joe Capozzi of the Palm Beach Post. We’re still not sure about the reason why.
There are two possible explanations. One, Ramirez fouled a ball off his left foot in the first inning. Two, I’m not going to say he didn’t hustle, but let’s just say that he took his sweet time after accidentally kicking a ball hit by Tony Abreu into the left field corner in the top of the second inning. Two runs scored on the play and Abreu ended up at third base. If his foot was bothering him, that could help to explain why he wasn’t exactly sprinting.
In any case, Marlins manager Fredi Gonzalez could be seen talking to Ramirez before the shortstop gathered his things and left the dugout. Brian Barden came out to play shortstop to start the third inning.
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 37
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 35
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 163
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 34
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 37
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 50
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (163)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (78)