May 17, 2010, 2:30 PM EDT
The headline pretty much says it all. Cash considerations head back to Cleveland in exchange for Rivera.
Rivera was something of a workhorse for the Washington Nationals in 2007 and 2008, but he was sent down to AAA in 2009 before being released. I can only assume that Manny
Acta put in a good word for him in order to get the Tribe to sign him but, as is evidenced by the lack of a headshot with him wearing an Indians cap, he hasn’t pitched for the big club this year. Instead, he has struck out 11 and walked 7 in 17 innings here in beautiful Columbus, Ohio.
Howry has been lit up like a Christmas tree this year for Arizona, posting an ERA of 10.67 in fourteen outings. Something must be wrong with him physically, because as Aaron pointed out when he was signed last winter, He’s been a workhorse himself, with only Mariano Rivera, Joe Nathan, Francisco Rodriguez, Francisco
Cordero, Scot Shields, Chad Qualls, and Scott Linebrink pitching as many innings as he has while posting a better ERA+.
If he’s healthy you have to figure that someone will take a chance on Howry, because it’s hard to fathom that someone could lose it just like that [snaps fingers].
- Josh Hamilton declares himself ready for the ALDS 3
- Wild Card Game: A’s vs. Royals lineups 14
- Pouliot’s 2014 National League awards picks 17
- HBT Daily: A’s vs. Royals. Jon Lester vs. Big Game James. WHO YA GOT?! 10
- Playoff Reset: The American League Wild Card Game 21
- REPORT: The Astros to name A.J. Hinch their new manager today 24
- Twins fire manager Ron Gardenhire 37
- Pouliot’s 2014 American League awards picks 20
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)