May 17, 2010, 2:30 PM EDT
The headline pretty much says it all. Cash considerations head back to Cleveland in exchange for Rivera.
Rivera was something of a workhorse for the Washington Nationals in 2007 and 2008, but he was sent down to AAA in 2009 before being released. I can only assume that Manny
Acta put in a good word for him in order to get the Tribe to sign him but, as is evidenced by the lack of a headshot with him wearing an Indians cap, he hasn’t pitched for the big club this year. Instead, he has struck out 11 and walked 7 in 17 innings here in beautiful Columbus, Ohio.
Howry has been lit up like a Christmas tree this year for Arizona, posting an ERA of 10.67 in fourteen outings. Something must be wrong with him physically, because as Aaron pointed out when he was signed last winter, He’s been a workhorse himself, with only Mariano Rivera, Joe Nathan, Francisco Rodriguez, Francisco
Cordero, Scot Shields, Chad Qualls, and Scott Linebrink pitching as many innings as he has while posting a better ERA+.
If he’s healthy you have to figure that someone will take a chance on Howry, because it’s hard to fathom that someone could lose it just like that [snaps fingers].
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 8
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 55
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 17
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 54
- Pete Rose will be allowed to participate in All-Star Game festivities 69
- Career over? Joe Nathan needs Tommy John surgery 31
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (115)