May 17, 2010, 2:30 PM EDT
The headline pretty much says it all. Cash considerations head back to Cleveland in exchange for Rivera.
Rivera was something of a workhorse for the Washington Nationals in 2007 and 2008, but he was sent down to AAA in 2009 before being released. I can only assume that Manny
Acta put in a good word for him in order to get the Tribe to sign him but, as is evidenced by the lack of a headshot with him wearing an Indians cap, he hasn’t pitched for the big club this year. Instead, he has struck out 11 and walked 7 in 17 innings here in beautiful Columbus, Ohio.
Howry has been lit up like a Christmas tree this year for Arizona, posting an ERA of 10.67 in fourteen outings. Something must be wrong with him physically, because as Aaron pointed out when he was signed last winter, He’s been a workhorse himself, with only Mariano Rivera, Joe Nathan, Francisco Rodriguez, Francisco
Cordero, Scot Shields, Chad Qualls, and Scott Linebrink pitching as many innings as he has while posting a better ERA+.
If he’s healthy you have to figure that someone will take a chance on Howry, because it’s hard to fathom that someone could lose it just like that [snaps fingers].
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 22
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 83
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (83)