May 17, 2010, 9:59 AM EDT
The Chroncle’s Susan Slusser reports that the worst case scenario has come to pass: Justin Duchscherer‘s injury is serious, he needs hip surgery and he’s done for the year. He’s had two previous surgeries for the same problem, so this is dire news. I don’t think it’s hysterical to wonder if his career is in jeopardy.
It’s also not hysterical to worry about Duchscherer on a personal level. You may recall that he suffered from clinical depression last year, which he attributed to being away from his routine, the team and off on his own rehabbing injuries. One hopes that was an isolated thing, but it certainly makes one worry more about Duchscherer than other players who get shuffled off to the 60-day DL.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 7
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 81
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 115
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)