May 17, 2010, 9:59 AM EDT
The Chroncle’s Susan Slusser reports that the worst case scenario has come to pass: Justin Duchscherer‘s injury is serious, he needs hip surgery and he’s done for the year. He’s had two previous surgeries for the same problem, so this is dire news. I don’t think it’s hysterical to wonder if his career is in jeopardy.
It’s also not hysterical to worry about Duchscherer on a personal level. You may recall that he suffered from clinical depression last year, which he attributed to being away from his routine, the team and off on his own rehabbing injuries. One hopes that was an isolated thing, but it certainly makes one worry more about Duchscherer than other players who get shuffled off to the 60-day DL.
- Reds hope to get Joey Votto back for the “stretch run” 5
- Jean Segura leaves Brewers following the death of his nine-month-old son 47
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 31
- Rangers catcher Geovany Soto arrested for marijuana possession 62
- Babe Ruth made his major league debut 100 years ago today 50
- Rockies owner: “maybe Denver doesn’t deserve a franchise . . . maybe time for it to find a new home” 80
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 33
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow 114
- Shocker: the Red Sox publicly criticize A.J. Pierzynski after cutting him (191)
- John Lackey on Nelson Cruz: “Not even going to comment … I’ve got nothing to say about him” (143)
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow (114)
- The 2014 All-Star rosters have been announced (103)
- Giants broadcaster says Angel Hernandez “does not belong in the big leagues” (102)