May 17, 2010, 9:59 AM EDT
The Chroncle’s Susan Slusser reports that the worst case scenario has come to pass: Justin Duchscherer‘s injury is serious, he needs hip surgery and he’s done for the year. He’s had two previous surgeries for the same problem, so this is dire news. I don’t think it’s hysterical to wonder if his career is in jeopardy.
It’s also not hysterical to worry about Duchscherer on a personal level. You may recall that he suffered from clinical depression last year, which he attributed to being away from his routine, the team and off on his own rehabbing injuries. One hopes that was an isolated thing, but it certainly makes one worry more about Duchscherer than other players who get shuffled off to the 60-day DL.
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 18
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 100
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 73
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 16
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 27
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 67
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 66
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 22
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (202)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (100)
- Joe Girardi would like Carlos Gomez to “play the game right” (97)