May 17, 2010, 9:59 AM EDT
The Chroncle’s Susan Slusser reports that the worst case scenario has come to pass: Justin Duchscherer‘s injury is serious, he needs hip surgery and he’s done for the year. He’s had two previous surgeries for the same problem, so this is dire news. I don’t think it’s hysterical to wonder if his career is in jeopardy.
It’s also not hysterical to worry about Duchscherer on a personal level. You may recall that he suffered from clinical depression last year, which he attributed to being away from his routine, the team and off on his own rehabbing injuries. One hopes that was an isolated thing, but it certainly makes one worry more about Duchscherer than other players who get shuffled off to the 60-day DL.
- How’d he do that? Magician Maddux fooled hitters all the way to Hall 14
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 46
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 35
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 14
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 196
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 22
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 37
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 35
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (196)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)