May 17, 2010, 9:59 AM EDT
The Chroncle’s Susan Slusser reports that the worst case scenario has come to pass: Justin Duchscherer‘s injury is serious, he needs hip surgery and he’s done for the year. He’s had two previous surgeries for the same problem, so this is dire news. I don’t think it’s hysterical to wonder if his career is in jeopardy.
It’s also not hysterical to worry about Duchscherer on a personal level. You may recall that he suffered from clinical depression last year, which he attributed to being away from his routine, the team and off on his own rehabbing injuries. One hopes that was an isolated thing, but it certainly makes one worry more about Duchscherer than other players who get shuffled off to the 60-day DL.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 10
- Report: Cubs calling up prospect infielder Addison Russell 14
- Jonathan Lucroy headed to disabled list with broken toe 8
- Reds manager Bryan Price goes on profanity-laden tirade against media 57
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 75
- Report: Marlins manager Mike Redmond is on the hot seat 41
- Five Royals ejected in Sunday’s series finale against the Athletics 88
- White Sox will promote Carlos Rodon on Monday 14
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (129)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (111)