May 17, 2010, 3:40 PM EST
Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com reports that Nick Johnson will undergo wrist surgery tomorrow and is expected to be sidelined until at least July.
Johnson has been in and out of the lineup for a couple weeks now and apparently a recent cortisone shot wasn’t effective. Signed to a one-year, $5.5 million contract this offseason to replace Johnny Damon in the Yankees’ lineup Johnson has a .388 on-base percentage, but is hitting just .167 with eight RBIs and 12 runs in 24 games. Damon, meanwhile, is hitting .288/.403/.424 in 38 games for the Tigers.
Rather than turn to a full-time replacement for Johnson the Yankees have been cycling various regulars through the DH spot, giving guys like Derek Jeter, Mark Teixeira, Robinson Cano, and Jorge Posada days off defensively. However, now that Johnson is likely out for a couple months (and perhaps much longer, given his history with injuries) it wouldn’t be surprising to see New York start shopping around for a veteran bat. This looks likely to be the fifth time in nine seasons that Johnson will fail to play 100 games.
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 336
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (337)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)