May 17, 2010, 4:45 PM EST
Teams are inquiring about A.J. Pierzynski’s availability and general manager Ken Williams replied “yes” yesterday when asked if he’s losing patience with the White Sox. So what does manager Ozzie Guillen say to all of that?
Hey, I don’t blame him. … The expectations we have with this club is very high. We had a ball club better than what we showed. And we have better hitters than what we showed. … Being patient is one thing I’m not very good at and Kenny is very strong with the way he makes moves and attacks the club, the way he does his business. He wants to win. …
I don’t care about me. That’s his job. With the coaches, one thing about it, we do everything we can to make those guys better. I know it. I fired three coaches myself because I don’t think they’re on the same page we are. We’re going to blame somebody, I do. If he wants to blow this ball club away, that’s his call. … We compete, we’re just not winning games. Is it about me? …
I think I do what I can do every day to make this ball club work. It’s something I believe if this thing don’t work, I’m not a princess or an icon or not that great. If the team don’t work the way it [should] be working, I’ll be the first one to be blamed. That’s the way this thing works in baseball or any sport. You don’t produce, it’s easy to fire one guy or two or three guys than 25.
As a Twins fan few things please me more than the White Sox struggling, but as a baseball fan I’m hoping Guillen doesn’t become the scapegoat. He’s far too entertaining.
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 50
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 21
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 16
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 75
- Sean Doolittle has a “slight” rotator cuff tear, won’t be ready for Opening Day 4
- Ryan Vogelsong re-signs with Giants after flirting with Astros 17
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (144)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 (75)