May 17, 2010, 4:45 PM EDT
Teams are inquiring about A.J. Pierzynski’s availability and general manager Ken Williams replied “yes” yesterday when asked if he’s losing patience with the White Sox. So what does manager Ozzie Guillen say to all of that?
Hey, I don’t blame him. … The expectations we have with this club is very high. We had a ball club better than what we showed. And we have better hitters than what we showed. … Being patient is one thing I’m not very good at and Kenny is very strong with the way he makes moves and attacks the club, the way he does his business. He wants to win. …
I don’t care about me. That’s his job. With the coaches, one thing about it, we do everything we can to make those guys better. I know it. I fired three coaches myself because I don’t think they’re on the same page we are. We’re going to blame somebody, I do. If he wants to blow this ball club away, that’s his call. … We compete, we’re just not winning games. Is it about me? …
I think I do what I can do every day to make this ball club work. It’s something I believe if this thing don’t work, I’m not a princess or an icon or not that great. If the team don’t work the way it [should] be working, I’ll be the first one to be blamed. That’s the way this thing works in baseball or any sport. You don’t produce, it’s easy to fire one guy or two or three guys than 25.
As a Twins fan few things please me more than the White Sox struggling, but as a baseball fan I’m hoping Guillen doesn’t become the scapegoat. He’s far too entertaining.
- The schedule: if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it 68
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 67
- Eduardo Rodriguez dazzles in major league debut 23
- Masahiro Tanaka expected to rejoin Yankees next week 4
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 76
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 86
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 62
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 29