May 17, 2010, 10:22 AM EST
The wonderful Carson Cistulli has been asking various baseball writers why they do what they do and is posting the results in a series over at FanGraphs. I’m up today, so if you want to know what motivates a guy to throw away a high-paying, high-powered legal career in order to sit around in his pajamas all day, annoying his wife, damaging his median nerves and straining his eyesight — apart from the obvious joys of those things — you may be interested in reading it.
If it seems a bit long, that’s just because I was trying really hard not to tell the truth and say “because math is hard” when answering the question.
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 77
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 45
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 26
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 144
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 26
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)