Why I write about baseball. Aside from the women, anyway.

May 17, 2010, 10:22 AM EDT

The wonderful Carson Cistulli has been asking various baseball writers why they do what they do and is posting the results in a series over at FanGraphs.  I’m up today, so if you want to know what motivates a guy to throw away a high-paying, high-powered legal career in order to sit around in his pajamas all day, annoying his wife, damaging his median nerves and straining his eyesight — apart from the obvious joys of those things — you may be interested in reading it.

If it seems a bit long, that’s just because I was trying really hard not to tell the truth and say “because math is hard” when answering the question.

1. Darryl - May 17, 2010 at 11:11 AM

….well, THAT explains a lot……

2. Clarence Darrow - May 17, 2010 at 12:49 PM

You gave up a “high-paying, high-powered legal career?” Is that what it was, or were you simply you hopping from menial associate to menial associate positions without even being considered for partner?
    Maybe you couldn’t get into a decent law school. And maybe you didn’t perform too well once in that 2nd rate law school.
    And maybe you really didn’t impress anyone with your performance.
    And maybe you didn’t really, really have much of a “high paying legal career” to give up.
    How about getting off the “I was a Perry Mason” bandwagon? We don’t buy it.
    One more thing – you have lawyers for readers. Ones who know the business.
    So knock it off, huh?

3. Craig Calcaterra - May 17, 2010 at 12:50 PM

And you know what about me exactly Mr. Darrow?

4. Richard Calcaterra - May 17, 2010 at 12:51 PM

I HOPE you are writing to stash away enough cash to get your mom and I a nice bed by the window in a nursing home some day !!!!!!

5. IdahoMariner - May 17, 2010 at 1:18 PM

I for one am glad you’re here, Craig. If only to keep me nursing my dream of also giving up the fast lane (ha! that’s a good one) and the glamour (ha! again) pf my legal career and settle into a nice lifestyle of writing and watching baseball…

6. WiHaloFan - May 17, 2010 at 1:40 PM

You’re my hero…most of the time.

7. HBG - May 17, 2010 at 3:00 PM

Jeez, you mock Derek Jeter a few dozen times and this is what you get.

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (4956)