May 18, 2010, 11:43 AM EDT
Demoted to the minors earlier this month after the Royals gave him all of 31 at-bats to get back on track from a broken thumb, Alex Gordon was named Pacific Coast League Hitter of the Week for predictably knocking around Triple-A pitchers.
Gordon is hitting .362 with a .524 on-base percentage and .766 slugging percentage in 17 games at Triple-A, smacking five homers and four doubles in 47 at-bats with as many walks as strikeouts. He’s also said to be taking well to the transition from third base to left field, which will hopefully speed up the timetable for Gordon’s return to Kansas City.
If the Royals were smart they’d already be playing Kila Ka’aihue at designated hitter rather than 34-year-old Jose Guillen (who’s hitting .220 with a .626 OPS in his last 30 games) and would install Gordon as the new starting left fielder over 34-year-old Scott Podsednik (and his .401 slugging percentage) as soon as his crash course in outfield defense had him looking passable out there.
Veteran mediocrity on a last-place team has little value to begin with, but when that veteran mediocrity is blocking younger, potentially much better players … well, then you have the Royals.
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 0
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 17
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 58
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 48
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 95
- Who really owns a home run ball? 65
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 131
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (131)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (130)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)