May 18, 2010, 11:43 AM EDT
Demoted to the minors earlier this month after the Royals gave him all of 31 at-bats to get back on track from a broken thumb, Alex Gordon was named Pacific Coast League Hitter of the Week for predictably knocking around Triple-A pitchers.
Gordon is hitting .362 with a .524 on-base percentage and .766 slugging percentage in 17 games at Triple-A, smacking five homers and four doubles in 47 at-bats with as many walks as strikeouts. He’s also said to be taking well to the transition from third base to left field, which will hopefully speed up the timetable for Gordon’s return to Kansas City.
If the Royals were smart they’d already be playing Kila Ka’aihue at designated hitter rather than 34-year-old Jose Guillen (who’s hitting .220 with a .626 OPS in his last 30 games) and would install Gordon as the new starting left fielder over 34-year-old Scott Podsednik (and his .401 slugging percentage) as soon as his crash course in outfield defense had him looking passable out there.
Veteran mediocrity on a last-place team has little value to begin with, but when that veteran mediocrity is blocking younger, potentially much better players … well, then you have the Royals.
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 35
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 23
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 9
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 32
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 20
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 14
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (204)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)