May 18, 2010, 11:43 AM EDT
Demoted to the minors earlier this month after the Royals gave him all of 31 at-bats to get back on track from a broken thumb, Alex Gordon was named Pacific Coast League Hitter of the Week for predictably knocking around Triple-A pitchers.
Gordon is hitting .362 with a .524 on-base percentage and .766 slugging percentage in 17 games at Triple-A, smacking five homers and four doubles in 47 at-bats with as many walks as strikeouts. He’s also said to be taking well to the transition from third base to left field, which will hopefully speed up the timetable for Gordon’s return to Kansas City.
If the Royals were smart they’d already be playing Kila Ka’aihue at designated hitter rather than 34-year-old Jose Guillen (who’s hitting .220 with a .626 OPS in his last 30 games) and would install Gordon as the new starting left fielder over 34-year-old Scott Podsednik (and his .401 slugging percentage) as soon as his crash course in outfield defense had him looking passable out there.
Veteran mediocrity on a last-place team has little value to begin with, but when that veteran mediocrity is blocking younger, potentially much better players … well, then you have the Royals.
- Cubs activate Matt Garza for first start in 10 months 0
- Thanks to Jeff Loria, Miami gets shut out of the Super Bowl 17
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. 98
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 64
- Alex Sanabia brings back the spitball in beating the Phillies 54
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (100)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (94)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (92)
- Yankees School of Witchcraft and Wizardry (82)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Live Extra: Watch Bruins-Rangers, Game 3
- Durant pledges $1 million for tornado victims
- Golden Super Bowl to Bay Area; LI to Houston
- PBT: Grizzlies aim to stem Spurs' momentum
- CSN: Tiger admits he and Sergio don't get along
- HBT: Yankees buying share of expansion MLS team
- PHT: Kings searching for killer instinct in Game 4