May 18, 2010, 9:00 AM EDT
Asdrubal Cabrera suffered a broken forearm last night in a collision with Jhonny Peralta and will meet with doctors later this week to determine whether surgery is neeeded.
Luis Valbuena started three straight games at shortstop when Cabrera was sidelined by a quadriceps injury two weeks ago, but looked beyond stretched there defensively and the Indians would no doubt like to keep him at second base anyway.
Peralta sliding back to his old position likely isn’t an option either, so the Indians could give 25-year-old prospect Jason Donald first crack at the job. Acquired from the Phillies in the Cliff Lee trade, Donald is a career .285 hitter in the minors with good on-base skills and some speed. However, he’ll likely top out at 15-homer power, may not have the range to stick at shortstop long term, and has struggled to stay healthy himself.
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 14
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 18
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 17
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 26
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)