May 18, 2010, 9:00 AM EST
Asdrubal Cabrera suffered a broken forearm last night in a collision with Jhonny Peralta and will meet with doctors later this week to determine whether surgery is neeeded.
Luis Valbuena started three straight games at shortstop when Cabrera was sidelined by a quadriceps injury two weeks ago, but looked beyond stretched there defensively and the Indians would no doubt like to keep him at second base anyway.
Peralta sliding back to his old position likely isn’t an option either, so the Indians could give 25-year-old prospect Jason Donald first crack at the job. Acquired from the Phillies in the Cliff Lee trade, Donald is a career .285 hitter in the minors with good on-base skills and some speed. However, he’ll likely top out at 15-homer power, may not have the range to stick at shortstop long term, and has struggled to stay healthy himself.
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 11
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 56
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 141
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 24
- Matt Kemp has officially been traded to the Padres 29
- Padres acquire catcher Derek Norris from Athletics 37
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site 90
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (142)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)