May 18, 2010, 9:00 AM EDT
Asdrubal Cabrera suffered a broken forearm last night in a collision with Jhonny Peralta and will meet with doctors later this week to determine whether surgery is neeeded.
Luis Valbuena started three straight games at shortstop when Cabrera was sidelined by a quadriceps injury two weeks ago, but looked beyond stretched there defensively and the Indians would no doubt like to keep him at second base anyway.
Peralta sliding back to his old position likely isn’t an option either, so the Indians could give 25-year-old prospect Jason Donald first crack at the job. Acquired from the Phillies in the Cliff Lee trade, Donald is a career .285 hitter in the minors with good on-base skills and some speed. However, he’ll likely top out at 15-homer power, may not have the range to stick at shortstop long term, and has struggled to stay healthy himself.
- Jonathan Papelbon makes it clear, again: He wants out of Philadelphia 49
- Looking at the All-Star team snubs and surprises 64
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 51
- “Final Vote” balloting opens for 2015 MLB All-Star Game 51
- Pitchers and reserves for 2015 MLB All-Star Game announced 65
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 51
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 106
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (106)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)