May 18, 2010, 9:00 AM EST
Asdrubal Cabrera suffered a broken forearm last night in a collision with Jhonny Peralta and will meet with doctors later this week to determine whether surgery is neeeded.
Luis Valbuena started three straight games at shortstop when Cabrera was sidelined by a quadriceps injury two weeks ago, but looked beyond stretched there defensively and the Indians would no doubt like to keep him at second base anyway.
Peralta sliding back to his old position likely isn’t an option either, so the Indians could give 25-year-old prospect Jason Donald first crack at the job. Acquired from the Phillies in the Cliff Lee trade, Donald is a career .285 hitter in the minors with good on-base skills and some speed. However, he’ll likely top out at 15-homer power, may not have the range to stick at shortstop long term, and has struggled to stay healthy himself.
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 28
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 283
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 17
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 49
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 66
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (283)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Gregg Zaun says young players should be physically abused and hazed by veterans. So they can learn respect. (105)