May 18, 2010, 2:48 PM EDT
Carlos Gomez is on the disabled list with a shoulder injury and Jim Edmonds joined him on the shelf today with a strained oblique.
That leaves the Brewers without their top two center fielders, so Jody Gerut will fill in with Ryan Braun and Corey Hart flanking him in the corners. Gerut has hit just .225 with a .654 OPS in 360 plate appearances dating back to last season and is stretched defensively in center field, but the Brewers are hoping to get Gomez back as soon as Friday.
Gomez is scheduled to play rehab games tomorrow and Thursday at Single-A, at which point he could be cleared to return. Prior to his shoulder injury Gomez was losing regular starts to Edmonds, so assuming he avoids a setback this could be an opportunity for the enigmatic 24-year-old to show what he can do as an everyday player. He was hitting .276/.321/.447 with six steals in six attempts before landing on the DL and Edmonds doesn’t figure to be a quick healer at age 40.
To his credit, Edmonds was playing well after sitting out all of last season, hitting .280 with a .362 on-base percentage and .462 slugging percentage in 105 plate appearances. He was in the lineup for 22 of the Brewers’ first 36 games, drawing 15 starts in center field and seven in right field.
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 12
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 16
- Impending free agent Jon Lester won’t talk contract with the Red Sox until after the season 12
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry 74
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 29
- Tigers acquire closer Joakim Soria from the Rangers 58
- Phillies officials “have contemplated the possibility of paying off” and releasing Ryan Howard 42
- The dizzying intellect of Tom Glavine 21
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Luke Scott released from Korean team after calling coach a “liar” and a “coward” (108)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)