May 18, 2010, 3:45 PM EST
A report yesterday said the Mets aren’t interested in signing Pedro Martinez, but the 38-year-old future Hall of Famer is definitely planning to pitch for someone this season. At least according to his friend David Ortiz, who told the New York Post: “He will. Somebody will need him at one point. At some point.”
Ortiz spoke to Martinez about a month ago, at which point he was working out in the Dominican Republic and Miami but “wasn’t really talking to” any MLB teams yet. The assumption has been that re-signing with Philadelphia would be Martinez’s first choice after he went 5-1 with a 3.63 ERA in nine starts for the Phillies last year.
However, they may not have a rotation need this time around if J.A. Happ returns soon from a forearm injury. Of course, with all their bullpen issues perhaps the Phillies would consider signing Martinez for the rotation with an eye toward bumping Happ back into a relief role.
Based on what he showed in the second half last season Martinez definitely looks capable of helping contending teams as a mid-rotation starter, so it could come down to how picky he’ll be choosing a team and how demanding he’ll be when negotiating a prorated contract. Or it might just come down to whether or not the Phillies are interested again.
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 15
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 63
- Curt Schilling goes after Obama, says Ronald Reagan would watch “The Interview” (227)
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot (120)
- Today’s specious anti-Mike Piazza-for-the-Hall-Fame argument (96)
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year (86)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)