May 18, 2010, 3:45 PM EST
A report yesterday said the Mets aren’t interested in signing Pedro Martinez, but the 38-year-old future Hall of Famer is definitely planning to pitch for someone this season. At least according to his friend David Ortiz, who told the New York Post: “He will. Somebody will need him at one point. At some point.”
Ortiz spoke to Martinez about a month ago, at which point he was working out in the Dominican Republic and Miami but “wasn’t really talking to” any MLB teams yet. The assumption has been that re-signing with Philadelphia would be Martinez’s first choice after he went 5-1 with a 3.63 ERA in nine starts for the Phillies last year.
However, they may not have a rotation need this time around if J.A. Happ returns soon from a forearm injury. Of course, with all their bullpen issues perhaps the Phillies would consider signing Martinez for the rotation with an eye toward bumping Happ back into a relief role.
Based on what he showed in the second half last season Martinez definitely looks capable of helping contending teams as a mid-rotation starter, so it could come down to how picky he’ll be choosing a team and how demanding he’ll be when negotiating a prorated contract. Or it might just come down to whether or not the Phillies are interested again.
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal 94
- MLB, NPB nearing new posting system agreement 9
- Report: Talks between the Mets and Curtis Granderson have “intensified” 31
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury 159
- Marlins sign free agent catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia to three-year, $21 million contract 44
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (159)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (100)
- When will the Yankees regret the Jacoby Ellsbury contract? (98)
- Robinson Cano met with the Mariners in Seattle (86)
- Yankees’ Jacoby Ellsbury signing to pay big dividends… for now (79)