May 18, 2010, 3:45 PM EDT
A report yesterday said the Mets aren’t interested in signing Pedro Martinez, but the 38-year-old future Hall of Famer is definitely planning to pitch for someone this season. At least according to his friend David Ortiz, who told the New York Post: “He will. Somebody will need him at one point. At some point.”
Ortiz spoke to Martinez about a month ago, at which point he was working out in the Dominican Republic and Miami but “wasn’t really talking to” any MLB teams yet. The assumption has been that re-signing with Philadelphia would be Martinez’s first choice after he went 5-1 with a 3.63 ERA in nine starts for the Phillies last year.
However, they may not have a rotation need this time around if J.A. Happ returns soon from a forearm injury. Of course, with all their bullpen issues perhaps the Phillies would consider signing Martinez for the rotation with an eye toward bumping Happ back into a relief role.
Based on what he showed in the second half last season Martinez definitely looks capable of helping contending teams as a mid-rotation starter, so it could come down to how picky he’ll be choosing a team and how demanding he’ll be when negotiating a prorated contract. Or it might just come down to whether or not the Phillies are interested again.
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 41
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 58
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 79
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 66
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 55
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (115)