May 18, 2010, 9:44 AM EDT
Out since mid-April with a shoulder injury, Edwin Encarnacion is finally expected to come off the disabled list today.
Unfortunately for the Blue Jays he’ll be taking the roster spot of Travis Snider, who was placed on the DL with a sprained wrist Monday just when the 22-year-old was starting to put up some big numbers. Snider hit .378 with three homers and six doubles in 12 games this month after batting .155 in April.
Encarnacion will resume starting at third base, with Jose Bautista remaining in the lineup every day by shifting to the outfield. Bautista ranks third in the AL with 11 homers after averaging just 17 long balls per 500 at-bats coming into the year. Encarnacion struggled before the DL stint and his star has faded considerably, but he’s very capable of being an asset offensively if the Blue Jays are willing to live with his terrible glove.
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (74)
- Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him (70)
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (69)