May 18, 2010, 7:48 PM EDT
Fresh off their 27th World Series championship, Forbes magazine named the Yankees as the most valuable team brand in sports on Tuesday, according to the Associated Press.
According to Forbes, the Yankees brand is now worth $328 million (21 percent of their $1.6 billion total team value), supplanting English soccer team Manchester United’s value of $285 million (16 percent of their $1.835 billion value). Man U were ranked as the No. 1 brand in 2009.
The list is largely dominated by soccer teams, but as far as American pro sports franchises, you’ll also find the Cowboys (No. 4), the Red Sox (No. 8), the Mets (No. 9) and the Patriots (No. 10). You can view a slideshow of the entire top 10 on the Forbes website. My question? Where are the Long Island Ducks!?
- The schedule: if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it 0
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 28
- Eduardo Rodriguez dazzles in major league debut 15
- Masahiro Tanaka expected to rejoin Yankees next week 4
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 76
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 86
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 60
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 29