May 18, 2010, 11:22 AM EDT
To top off what has become a Hanley Ramirez morning, let us take a walk down memory lane — way back to last October — to Jorge Arangure’s profile of Ramirez for ESPN, in which Ramirez’s attitude — though, to be fair, not his work ethic — was cast into serious doubt.
And let’s be clear about this: there are two separate things happening with Hanley Ramirez at the moment. On the one hand we have last night’s incident, which was an example of a guy not playing hard. That could have and should have ended last night with the benching, some conciliatory words and a good night’s sleep.
Today’s unapologetic garbage from Ramirez about how he doesn’t respect Fredi Gonzalez because he never played in the big leagues is a matter of attitude — not hustle — and it’s on par with what Arangure wrote about last fall. It’s also much, much worse for the Marlins than any amount of lollygagging can ever be.
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 1
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 6
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 5
- Orioles trade for Brewers outfielder Gerardo Parra 14
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 44
- Giants to acquire Mike Leake from Reds 31
- Astros acquire Carlos Gomez and Mike Fiers from Brewers 45
- Pirates bolster bullpen, pick up Joakim Soria from Tigers 11
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (111)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)