May 18, 2010, 11:22 AM EDT
To top off what has become a Hanley Ramirez morning, let us take a walk down memory lane — way back to last October — to Jorge Arangure’s profile of Ramirez for ESPN, in which Ramirez’s attitude — though, to be fair, not his work ethic — was cast into serious doubt.
And let’s be clear about this: there are two separate things happening with Hanley Ramirez at the moment. On the one hand we have last night’s incident, which was an example of a guy not playing hard. That could have and should have ended last night with the benching, some conciliatory words and a good night’s sleep.
Today’s unapologetic garbage from Ramirez about how he doesn’t respect Fredi Gonzalez because he never played in the big leagues is a matter of attitude — not hustle — and it’s on par with what Arangure wrote about last fall. It’s also much, much worse for the Marlins than any amount of lollygagging can ever be.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 21
- Report: Zack Wheeler expected to make 2-3 starts in minors before joining Mets 16
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 112
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 58
- Don Mattingly will still be the Dodgers’ manager on Friday 18
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (118)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (114)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (112)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (80)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (74)
- PHT: Senators fight for playoff lives in Game 5
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PHT: Kings defend home ice, up 3-2 | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon