May 18, 2010, 1:44 PM EST
Nothing official has been announced yet, but Marc Topkin of the St. Petersburg Times reports that J.P. Howell is in Alabama today visiting with Dr. James Andrews and “indications are” he “will have surgery” to repair a torn labrum in his shoulder.
After struggling as a starter Howell moved to the bullpen full time in 2008 and over the next two seasons went 13-6 with a 2.48 ERA and 171 strikeouts in 156 innings. He saved 17 games after replacing Troy Percival at closer last season, but was shut down late in the year due to “fatigue” and then complained of shoulder soreness this spring.
He had been shooting for a late-May return before suffering a setback during a bullpen session yesterday. If surgery is indeed necessary Howell will miss the entire season and likely part of 2011 as well. Labrum surgeries have a lower rate of recovery than Tommy John surgery, so he’s looking at a very long road back and the Rays’ bullpen won’t be adding another late-inning weapon.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 86
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 161
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (161)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (136)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)