Mike Lowell has considered asking for his release

May 18, 2010, 9:17 PM EDT

Piggybacking on Aaron’s entry from earlier, a ‘frustrated’ Mike Lowell elaborated before Tuesday’s game against the Yankees, telling reporters that he has considered asking the Red Sox for his release (via Rob Bradford of WEEI.com).

“Have I given it thought, sure. I think that’s a normal train of thought
to go through,” he said. “Is that something that would happen? I don’t
know. I haven’t looked that deep into it. I think that’s more upper
management’s decision. They’ve been willing to eat a lot of my contract
so maybe that’s not holding them back. Sometimes you think if that
happens it would be better. But I don’t have a crystal ball and I don’t
think the flip side is always better or always worse. I know the
situation here is … I just don’t see it being very good.”

He doesn’t disagree with Terry Francona’s decision to play the red-hot David Ortiz, but fears that he’ll be even further buried on the bench once Mike Cameron and Jacoby Ellsbury return from the disabled list.

Lowell, 36, is batting .263/.354/.404 with one home run and nine RBI over 57 at-bats this season. He’d surely draw interest from any numbers of teams if the Red Sox were to aggressively pursue a trade, but the team would probably have to kick in a substantial portion of his $12 million salary for this season in order to do so.

1. Lisa crosby - May 18, 2010 at 10:47 PM

I hope the Sox do release Lowell…it’s pitiful how he is sitting on the bench while Beltre ALREADY has seven errors this season, and can’t hit, either. What a waste…typical Red Sox bs!

2. jeff - May 19, 2010 at 12:52 AM

Beltre can’t hit either? You should google before you speak because he’s hitting .312. Typical ignorant airhead bs!

3. Carlos - May 19, 2010 at 3:17 AM

Is there any chance of him returning ot the Marlins?

4. Moses Green - May 19, 2010 at 8:22 AM

This is an all-too typical scenario for the Sox under Theo. Every season is another bad contract pile-up. When the 25th man makes $12 million, that’s usually a bad sign.

5. BobbyHW - May 19, 2010 at 10:52 AM

Lisa,
    What about Bel(try)’s fault re Ellsbury. Someone peddling backwards should always yield to the player running forward, or is that to old fashioned? Also when is all this pitch counting going to STOP!!!!!
    If a pitcher is doing well, leave him IN. If he stinks take him out…or is that too old fashioned also?
    It looks like Beltre is making more ERRORS than LUGO, and he went bye-bye. What about FRANCONA!!!!!!! Why is he still around. All I see him doing is, Chewing Gum, SPITTING and walking around in a circle. Even when he talks I can’t figure out what he saying. Sounds like he has MUSH in his mouth.
    Lisa…you are so right , and also about the BS!!!!

6. BobbyHW - May 19, 2010 at 10:54 AM

Lisa,
    Lisa…you are so right , and also about the BS!!!!

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. J. Soler (3685)