Mike Lowell is 'frustrated' by lack of playing time

May 18, 2010, 12:45 PM EDT

Now that David Ortiz is hitting again–going 16-for-46 (.348) with six homers in 12 games so far this month–Mike Lowell is back to being primarily a bench player for the Red Sox and told Rob Bradford of WEEI.com that he’s not happy about it.

I don’t come in for defense. I’m always pinch-run for. Your level of importance feels diminished when I feel like I can do so much more. I just don’t know if the place where I can do so much more is here. The good news is that I can’t control that, but the bad thing is not being able to control the frustration.

The fact we’re not playing well adds to the frustration. If we had the best record in the big leagues, it makes things a little better because there’s a good vibe about the way we’re playing. There are good things. We’re not playing that well. It’s not just one thing. I think if my hip was bothering me all the time I think I would be frustrated, but there would be justification in me not playing.

The situation that is frustrating to me is that I think everybody wanted to see if I was healthier than last year, and I’ve got to believe that’s pretty apparent, and I don’t think my numbers merit not doing anything. The fact I feel good and I have instances where I have had good games and you can’t follow it up and you can’t get hot for two or three weeks, it can only add to your frustration.

This offseason Lowell was on the verge of being traded to Texas, where he’d have been an everyday player, but thumb surgery nixed that move and now the Rangers don’t have any room for him. Lowell would help plenty of other teams in a much bigger role than he has in Boston, but unless they can get significant value for him or save significant money by unloading him it makes sense for the Red Sox to keep Lowell around as an insurance policy at third base, first base, and designated hitter.

1. BC - May 18, 2010 at 1:35 PM

They’re probably keeping him benched until he fixes that crooked mustache of his.
    Seriously, he’s a class guy and still a very productive player. I’d like to see him get a chance somewhere.

2. David - May 18, 2010 at 1:40 PM

Even tho I am a die-hard, all my life,Yankee fan….I truly feel that Lowell is a very good player that should be playing. Baseball is cheated out of seeing him play. If I were him, I would ask for a trade, and then be happy where ever he ends up, and let Baseball see Lowell shine.

3. d - May 18, 2010 at 1:41 PM

his range stinks, but he can still hit… Although I thing Sean Casey could beat him in a footrace, which is saying something
    usenet to

4. Lardin - May 18, 2010 at 1:46 PM

Hey Red Sox if your not gonna play mike Lowell, release him. The Yankees could use a bat since half our team is on the DL…..

5. Joey B - May 18, 2010 at 2:33 PM

I like Mike, but the day had to come when his role would be diminished. It happens to everyone. He’s 36, can’t move, has one HR in 57 ABs and a .263. I don’t mean this to be negative, but the biggest problem he has is that he is getting $12.5M for below-average results. If he was better, or cheaper, he could be moved.
    I’m sure he wants to play and to win, but it is not exactly the RS fault that he can’t be moved.

6. Professor Longnose - May 18, 2010 at 3:27 PM

Lowell would make a good DH for the Yankees this season. He could replace NIck Johnson, and spell Rodriguez at third and Texiera at first, too.

Colby-on-Colby crime in Toronto