May 18, 2010, 10:20 AM EDT
Jenrry Mejia isn’t the only pitcher getting stretched out in preparation of more optimal use. The Cubs have moved Carlos Zambrano off his setup job — which he hasn’t done particularly well — and into long relief, presumably in preparation for a return to the rotation.
“Look, we thought the outcome would be a little different, and he’s not
as comfortable in the bullpen pitching short,” manager Lou Piniella
said of the move.
I’m fairly certain that Lou Piniella is the only person who thought this move would work out any differently.
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 41
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 44
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 56
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (88)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)