Yeah, that was an awful play by Hanley Ramirez

May 18, 2010, 10:01 AM EST

I saw D.J.’s post about it last night, but as I went to sleep I was of a mind that Hanley Ramirez’s little boot play in shallow left field was some ambiguous injury-related thing.  Based on the video of Ramirez lollygagging after the ball, however, there can be no doubt that Fredi Gonazlez did the right thing in benching him.

You can’t let a superstar get away with that. There are too many young guys on the team that will — and, all things being equal, should — follow his example.

1. largebill - May 18, 2010 at 11:16 AM

2. Joey B - May 18, 2010 at 11:39 AM

“Wait a second, didn’t some guy “prove” a couple weeks ago that any mention of hustle is an example of latent racism based on a bogus Google search?”
    This is the world that Craig and cohorts have chosen to live in. Instead of using a perfectly acceptable word like ‘hustle’, we must use the word ‘lollygag’. The problem, as always, is as soon as he uses lollygag to describe Philips or Manny staring at an almost-HR, and running a triple into a double, we won’t be able to use a loaded word like lollygag.
    And then Craig will have to run another thread apologizing for his racist use of the word lollygag.

3. Craig Calcaterra - May 18, 2010 at 11:49 AM

Culture warriors gotta wage war, I guess.
    As I said at length in the last thread — but which both of you chose, quite pig-headedly to ignore, because it doesn’t suit your defensive world view – is that the term “Hustle” is not some epithet that I will no longer use. I said that it is a term that is quite often used haphazardly and in loaded fashion to cover more than just the play itself. It’s used as a shorthand for attitudes and things that go beyond the scope of what happened on any play, and for that reason it should be used carefully.
    As this story has developed this morning (see the later posts), the matter of how Ramirez handled that play and how he has reacted to the criticism since have started to heat up. Those are two separate matters: one of effort, one of attitude, that are quite easily and quite mistakenly conflated. My choice not to use “hustle” this morning was because I anticipated this very thing.

4. Joey B - May 18, 2010 at 12:33 PM

“My choice not to use “hustle” this morning was because I anticipated this very thing.”
    FWIW, when you posted the original article about Philips, before you were accused of racism, I knew the term was wrong. Philips was guilty of self-absorption, not lack of hustle. When you semi-apologized, you should’ve simply have noted the incorrect usage, nothing more. A word is racist only if it used in a racist manner. If a guy lollygags, he isn’t hustling. If one uses the word only in respect to one group, and refuses to use it in respect to another group, then it becomes racist. Even lollygag is racist if you use it only irt Latinos, and refuse to use if a white guy does the same thing.
    And FWIW, you did use it this morning in another article.

5. Wooden U. Lykteneau - May 18, 2010 at 1:09 PM

A word is racist only if it used in a racist manner.

6. Joey B - May 18, 2010 at 1:13 PM

“Which, of course, Joey B and only Joey B is allowed to determine. No sense citing facts to support that delusion.”
    Not at all. It is all just a matter of opinion. IMHO, I feel that Hanley was not hustling. If you feel that he gave that ball his full effort, then speak up and defend him.

7. Mark - May 18, 2010 at 1:27 PM

I just watched the video, and yes, Ramirez is jogging after the ball. That’s exactly what you do when you’re trying to favor an injured ankle. The insatiable need some announcers and internet commenters have to conflate rational choices on health preservation by players with a character flaw is quite interesting, and says much about the people commenting and their bitterness with their lives.
    Meanwhile, a jogging Hanley Ramirez in the lineup is still head and shoulders above a “hustling” Brian Barden toward helping the Marlins win baseball games. Kudos to Ramirez for preserving the viability of his team’s best hitter.

8. Joey B - May 18, 2010 at 1:55 PM

“I just watched the video, and yes, Ramirez is jogging after the ball. That’s exactly what you do when you’re trying to favor an injured ankle.”
    It’s entirely possible. But he had no problem going after the popup, and he didn’t favor either ankle running into the corner, and wasn’t limping. Even at that, I’d give him the benefit of the doubt.
    But then why did Freddi toss him? Surely Freddi knows if he’s injured. Wouldn’t the manager have simply explained to the press that Hanley was having an issue with his ankle instead of tossing him?

9. Ken - May 18, 2010 at 2:26 PM

The thing I don’t get about this is he could have raced after the ball full speed and it would have been the same outcome, except he appears to have hustled. He booted the hell out of that ball, and there is no way he was catching up to it until it hit the wall.

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (5656)