And That Happened: Tuesday's Scores and Highlights

May 19, 2010, 5:47 AM EDT

Mariano River irked.jpgRed Sox 7, Yankees 6: For the second time in three days Joba Chamberlain and Mariano Rivera blew a game. This one was way more on Chamberlain — he came into the eighth with a 5-1 lead and the inning ended with things knotted at 5 — but Rivera came in and gave up two of his own.  I’m sure you’ll hear absolutely nothing else about this game today, however, so please, pay it no mind.

Giants 7, Padres 6: Matt Downs had three hits in the game, all coming from the ninth inning on, none bigger than the two-run double in the 12th that proved to be the game winner. The Giants finally take one from San Diego. I think the last time they won one in San Diego the Padres were wearing brown and yellow.

Braves 3, Mets 2: Fundamentally unsound baseball decided this one. First the Braves couldn’t bunt over the pinch runner on two attempts, with such “failure” leading to a walk and a chopper that ended up scoring the winning run when David Wright threw the ball away. I’m willing to bet my 1986 Hank Aaron Donruss Diamond Kings puzzle that, had the Braves gotten the first bunt down, they never would have gotten the runner home.  In other news, Johan Santana not getting run support against the Braves is a tale as old as time. Well, a tale as old as his time in the National League, but we’ve all heard it by now. He deserved a better fate, but he usually does, doesn’t he?

Pirates 2, Phillies 1: Zach Duke + Pirates bullpen > Roy Halladay all
by his lonesome. At least for last night, anyway. Chase Utley missed his second game in a row with “flu-like symptoms,” which either means (a) that old saw about “flu-like symptoms” being a euphemism for a hangover isn’t true; or (b) Utley is on one HELL of a bender.

Orioles 4, Royals 3: Nice line for Luke Scott: 2 AB, 2 R, 2 H, 2 RBI, 2 BB and 2 HR.  And hey, a Bryan Bullington sighting!  He’s like that cat in the nursing home that curls up on the terminal patients right before they die. When he shows up on your roster, good night Irene.

Marlins 8, Diamondbacks 0: I hit this one yesterday afternoon, but let me just add: I have never won the “you can’t come out of your room until you apologize” game with my son. It’s way easier to be bad than it is to be good. I wish that weren’t true, but it is.

Rays 6, Indians 2: The fundamental problem with the Cleveland Indians is that they don’t have good players like David Price (6 IP, 4 H, 0 ER) and Evan Longoria (2 for 4, 2B, 3B, 3 RBI), and they have a lot of bad players like David Huff.  Don’t spread that one around though — that’s my scoop, babies.

Reds 5, Brewers 4: Gotta agree with Broseph Gleeman on this one: Trevor Hoffman is toast. Hate to see it go down like this, but that’s usually what happens. John Wetteland is the last elite closer I can think of who left on his own two feet. Tom Henke did too. Billy Wagner looks poised to do it, and probably Rivera, but most guys have the ball taken from them.

White Sox 6, Tigers 2: Freddy Garcia was referred to in the AP game story as “the crafty right hander.”  The writer has been fined $50 and ordered to take a lap after violating the clear style-book rule which specifies that only lefties can be described as “crafty.” I realize this is harsh, but if we don’t enforce this now we’ll soon be up to our eyeballs in grizzled rookies, scrappy black guys and balls hit to the opposite field that are not described as “nice pieces of hitting.” In other words: chaos.

Cardinals 3, Nationals 2: Five straight losses for Washington. Methinks they’re turning back into a pumpkin. Oh, and Tyler Clippard may have seven wins, but he still stinks, so take that you Blyleven haters. Oh, wait, sorry. I thought it was December there for a second. I promised myself I wouldn’t start that crap up again until December. Time and place, Craig. Time and place.

Blue Jays 11, Twins 2: Among the carnage yesterday afternoon was an Edwin Encarnacion two-run homer. I always take note of what he does in a game. Why? Because in June of 2005, I was checking into the Marriott in downtown Cleveland, and right in front of me was Edwin Encarnacion, fresh from the airport after being called up to join the Reds for his major league debut against the Indians.  He told the person at the counter his name and they handed him a big envelope with “E. Encarnacion” written on it in magic marker. They explained to him that everything he needed was in that envelope. After I checked in and started walking towards the elevator, I saw him sitting on a bench, looking through the envelope — filled with tickets and cash and all kinds of stuff — basically overwhelmed at everything.  I always sort of wished that he had gone on to a Hall of Fame career so that I could tell that story in more important settings — it could make a great introduction to a motivational speech of some kind — but I’ll take it for what it is.

Rangers 8, Angels 7: C.J. Wilson and Jered Weaver each gave up seven runs in four innings and change, opening up the proceedings to a parade of relievers and rendering this the sort of game I enjoy watching the least. Look closely, and you’ll likely see at least two guys from your high school in the pitchers’ portion of the box score.

Cubs 6, Rockies 2: Six strong innings from Carlos Silva, who remains unbeaten. I haven’t seen a career turnaround like this since Bobby Shelton met Harry O. Tophet.

Athletics 6, Mariners 5: Kurt Suzuki got the RBI single in the 10th to win it, but it was made possible by some sloppy play by the M’s and some heads up base running by Cliff Pennington. Specifically, a poor throw back to the infield allowing Pennington to advance from first to second on a fly out, and then a wild pitch allowing him to take third. Sixteen hits for the A’s offense, which is their season high.

Dodgers 7, Astros 3: Not having Andre Ethier around is a lot easier when the Astros are the opponent. Manny Ramirez, James Loney and Casey Blake each had two RBI.

1. Moses Green - May 19, 2010 at 6:23 AM

Old righties who can’t break a pane of glass with their fastball but still get guys out deserve their own adjective. I’m going to go with “wily”.

2. MVD - May 19, 2010 at 6:54 AM

I’m not gonna say that the possible end of Trevor Hoffman’s career isn’t important, but the facts that the Reds have won a ton of games to climb out of the NL Central cellar, reach, and stay in first place, that Joey Votto is destroying baseballs, and that Scott Rolen is pretending like its 2004 matter, too, right?

3. YankeesfanLen - May 19, 2010 at 7:10 AM

Rather than go on a complete rant, I’ll just award The Big Toad the “Kyle Fernsworth reliever of the week” trophy. It used to show a pitcher releasing a ball, but somehow the ball is missing- gone wild.

4. Moses Green - May 19, 2010 at 7:54 AM

No. The Reds don’t matter at all, not even a little bit. It’s not even June, Scott Rolen won’t last, Johnny Cueto has proven he’s only good for about 120 innings a year, Mike Leake is being ridden hard along the road to Dr. Andrews’ office. So no.
    No one but Reds fans care that they are off to a good start and temporarily leading the worst division in MLB in the weak-sister National League. It won’t last, and if you’re smart you’ll quit with the chest thumping and just enjoy it in the present.

5. BigPhil - May 19, 2010 at 8:13 AM

It’s awesome that Halladay is a horse and finishes his games and all that, but a 132 pitch game in May is a extreme in my book. Couple that with the fact that he’s averaged 122.5 pitches in his last 4 starts, and it’s ridiculous.
    What is Charlie Manuel thinking? I realize the bullpen is sketchy and extremely thin, but why overwork the best thing we’ve got in mile 5 of the season’s marathon?

6. Jonny5 - May 19, 2010 at 8:26 AM

I can’t say I disagree with you, but he does ask for it. I think it’s time to limit the mans pitches myself. I have to say, I didn’t see this one coming. The Pirates beat the Phills at home with Roy on the mound. The Pirates kept the Phills to 1 steeeenking run? Oh well at least the Flyers took game 2 and blanked the Habs again, this time a more respectable 3-0.

7. dprat - May 19, 2010 at 9:18 AM

YOBWG (Ye Old Baseballin’ Writers’ Guild) rules require that old Padres uniforms MUST be referred to as “mustard” and brown. Turn in your card, Calcaterra.

8. Old Gator - May 19, 2010 at 9:30 AM

It’s a Feesh clubhouse love fest between the team’s residual 24 players and Fat Fredi. He’s getting major applause from the Macondo press this morning: http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/05/19/1635828/fredi-gonzalez-sends-right-message.html
    I have no idea whether Hanley sat in the back of the plane on the way to St. Louis and sulked, if anyone tried to talk some sense into his head, or if the Chihuahua called a peace conference. But the bottom line today is that the Feesh aren’t playing at home against two hapless, stumblebum teams anymore, and the Cards must be licking their chops at the prospect of a game or two with Hanley on the bench. Whatever it is they need to do to put their best team on the field for the next few days, they ought to do it quick.

9. Kevin - May 19, 2010 at 10:19 AM

It’s not over until Bryan Bullington flings? Surprising, really — I thought the Royals had been playing out the string since Opening Day.

10. scatterbrian - May 19, 2010 at 12:47 PM

Cueto is 24 years old. The only thing he’s “proven” is that he can get Major League hitters out.

11. Sarah - May 19, 2010 at 1:10 PM

I think Chase’s “flu like” symptoms have more to do with a) giving him some time off after carrying the substitute SS defensively for a month and b) letting JRoll have his moment in the sun before batting him 7th. I can’t imagine they put him back in the lead-off position given how well Victorino is batting. They aren’t moving Polanco, Utley, Howard or Werth. So, hello bottom of the order, Jimmy!
    Or the Phillies just have no idea where to bat Rollins and decided to give Utley some time off so they can figure out their line-up. I mean, it was the Pirates, I can’t imagine they really expected to need him.

12. APBA Guy - May 19, 2010 at 2:31 PM

Couple the good baserunning of the A’s with the sloppy baserunning of the Mariners. The worst offense was the top of the fifth, A’s leading 3-1. Two outs, Kotchman on second, Rob Johnson on first. Sheets pitching, Ichiro at the plate. Calssic Ichiro liner, quickly played by Cust in left. Kotchman rounds third and inexplicably slows approaching the plate. Meanwhile Johnson heads to third in front of Cust who miraculously throws a strike to Kouz who tags Johnson BEFORE Kotchman crosses the plate. Unbelieveable.
    In the top of the sixth Kotchman singled to right scoring two, both of whom cross the plate before Sweeney throws out Kotchman at second.
    King Felix didn’t have it last night giving up 11 hits in 6 innings, and Sheets was sweating like a sauna refugee in the unusually humid Oakland air. Being from Baton Rouge you’d think he’d be used to it but once you move to the Bay Area you forget about how to deal with humidity.
    The A’s got 31 hits in the two games against the Mariners. So much for the offseason pitching and defense approach of the M’s. They’re 23rd in team fielding, to go with the suspect pitching and no offense.
    Captcha: poseurs crazy

13. Andy II - May 25, 2010 at 5:28 AM

Watched Eazy E hit a bomb off Mariano Rivera, so I’ve got a soft spot for him too. He went on a tear this weekend, so maybe our stories will become historically relevant still.

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. J. Soler (4167)