May 19, 2010, 4:04 PM EST
After all the hubbub (and protest) surrounding his leaving last night’s game with a back injury, Josh Beckett was placed on the disabled list this afternoon.
Joe Nelson was called up from Triple-A to take his spot on the roster, but he’ll work out of the bullpen while Tim Wakefield slides back into the Red Sox’s constantly changing rotation. Beckett has just one win and a 7.29 ERA in eight starts and previously missed a turn in the rotation because of back spasms.
In other Red Sox pitching news, Jonathan Papelbon is unavailable out of the bullpen tonight after working three of the past four games.
- Report: Two agents rumbled in the parking lot at the Winter Meetings 20
- Mets sign 40-year-old Bartolo Colon for two years, $20 million 38
- MLB rules committee decides to eliminate collisions at home plate 45
- Mariners sign Corey Hart to incentive-laden deal 27
- David Price would not consider an extension with the Mariners if he’s traded there 35
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (113)
- Managers, GMs to meet today to discuss the abolition of home plate collisions (113)