May 19, 2010, 4:04 PM EDT
After all the hubbub (and protest) surrounding his leaving last night’s game with a back injury, Josh Beckett was placed on the disabled list this afternoon.
Joe Nelson was called up from Triple-A to take his spot on the roster, but he’ll work out of the bullpen while Tim Wakefield slides back into the Red Sox’s constantly changing rotation. Beckett has just one win and a 7.29 ERA in eight starts and previously missed a turn in the rotation because of back spasms.
In other Red Sox pitching news, Jonathan Papelbon is unavailable out of the bullpen tonight after working three of the past four games.
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 20
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 15
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 76
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 52
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 61
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 29
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (280)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (77)