May 19, 2010, 4:04 PM EST
After all the hubbub (and protest) surrounding his leaving last night’s game with a back injury, Josh Beckett was placed on the disabled list this afternoon.
Joe Nelson was called up from Triple-A to take his spot on the roster, but he’ll work out of the bullpen while Tim Wakefield slides back into the Red Sox’s constantly changing rotation. Beckett has just one win and a 7.29 ERA in eight starts and previously missed a turn in the rotation because of back spasms.
In other Red Sox pitching news, Jonathan Papelbon is unavailable out of the bullpen tonight after working three of the past four games.
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 0
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 21
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 54
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 85
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 48
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 36
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site (90)