May 19, 2010, 4:04 PM EDT
After all the hubbub (and protest) surrounding his leaving last night’s game with a back injury, Josh Beckett was placed on the disabled list this afternoon.
Joe Nelson was called up from Triple-A to take his spot on the roster, but he’ll work out of the bullpen while Tim Wakefield slides back into the Red Sox’s constantly changing rotation. Beckett has just one win and a 7.29 ERA in eight starts and previously missed a turn in the rotation because of back spasms.
In other Red Sox pitching news, Jonathan Papelbon is unavailable out of the bullpen tonight after working three of the past four games.
- Report: Cubs calling up prospect infielder Addison Russell 0
- Jonathan Lucroy headed to disabled list with broken toe 5
- Reds manager Bryan Price goes on profanity-laden tirade against media 44
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 75
- Report: Marlins manager Mike Redmond is on the hot seat 40
- Five Royals ejected in Sunday’s series finale against the Athletics 88
- White Sox will promote Carlos Rodon on Monday 14
- Another one bites the dust: Mets lose young catcher Travis d’Arnaud to fractured right hand 14
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (129)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (107)