May 19, 2010, 1:12 PM EDT
ESPN’s Howard Bryant has a fascinating feature today on the “emotional maelsrom” that has been David Oritz’s last couple of years with the Boston Red Sox.
There’s some arguably poor behavior on Ortiz’s part mentioned in there — he allegedly left the ballpark early back in April after being pinch hit for, he “raged” that the team-owned NESN ran a “who should be the DH” poll during a telecast earlier this month and he has seemingly forgotten just how loyal the team was to him back when the PED stuff came out last year — but overall, I think, it paints a pretty nuanced portrait of a guy who (a) is used to excelling; but (b) is clearly not anymore.
There’s this tendency to portray Ortiz as either a happy-go-lucky gentle giant or a slumping grouch. The answer is that, like most of us, he can be both of those things.
Worth a read, that’s for sure.
- Felix Hernandez pounded as Mariners lose fourth straight 6
- Blue Jays manager John Gibbons will return in 2015 4
- HBT Daily: Why did Frank Wren get the axe? 2
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 57
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 26
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 46
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (124)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (111)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (89)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (87)