May 19, 2010, 1:12 PM EDT
ESPN’s Howard Bryant has a fascinating feature today on the “emotional maelsrom” that has been David Oritz’s last couple of years with the Boston Red Sox.
There’s some arguably poor behavior on Ortiz’s part mentioned in there — he allegedly left the ballpark early back in April after being pinch hit for, he “raged” that the team-owned NESN ran a “who should be the DH” poll during a telecast earlier this month and he has seemingly forgotten just how loyal the team was to him back when the PED stuff came out last year — but overall, I think, it paints a pretty nuanced portrait of a guy who (a) is used to excelling; but (b) is clearly not anymore.
There’s this tendency to portray Ortiz as either a happy-go-lucky gentle giant or a slumping grouch. The answer is that, like most of us, he can be both of those things.
Worth a read, that’s for sure.
- “Final Vote” balloting opens for 2015 MLB All-Star Game 13
- Pitchers and reserves for 2015 MLB All-Star Game announced 49
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 49
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 103
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 20
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 9
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 40
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (103)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)