May 19, 2010, 6:00 PM EDT
Jon Heyman on the Mets’ managerial situation:
If Manuel goes, the Mets will almost assuredly hire Bob Melvin,
the ex-Diamondbacks manager who’s been serving as a Mets’ scout, to
replace him. And it’s probably not a good sign for Manuel that everyone
seems to know this.
Heyman is pretty plugged in with the Mets, so he’s probably right about this. And he made a good argument last month about why, irrespective of what people are talking about, it makes sense that the Mets would install Melvin (at least why it makes sense to the Wilpons).
Valentine has star power. So much that I keep forgetting all the reasons why he doesn’t make practical sense for the Mets. It’s totally Melvin if and when Manuel goes.
- Masahiro Tanaka to pitch on Sunday 4
- Astros shut down George Springer for the season 0
- The Blue Jays will make a qualifying offer to Melky Cabrera 14
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 34
- MLB suspends Jonathan Papelbon seven games for incident during Sunday’s game 42
- VIDEO: Jacob deGrom begins game with eight straight strikeouts to tie MLB record 11
- Bud Selig says MLB and players union will meet this week about domestic abuse policy 8
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 67
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (88)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)