May 19, 2010, 6:00 PM EDT
Jon Heyman on the Mets’ managerial situation:
If Manuel goes, the Mets will almost assuredly hire Bob Melvin,
the ex-Diamondbacks manager who’s been serving as a Mets’ scout, to
replace him. And it’s probably not a good sign for Manuel that everyone
seems to know this.
Heyman is pretty plugged in with the Mets, so he’s probably right about this. And he made a good argument last month about why, irrespective of what people are talking about, it makes sense that the Mets would install Melvin (at least why it makes sense to the Wilpons).
Valentine has star power. So much that I keep forgetting all the reasons why he doesn’t make practical sense for the Mets. It’s totally Melvin if and when Manuel goes.
- 2014 Preview: Chicago Cubs 1
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” 34
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 18
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 60
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 12