May 19, 2010, 6:00 PM EDT
Jon Heyman on the Mets’ managerial situation:
If Manuel goes, the Mets will almost assuredly hire Bob Melvin,
the ex-Diamondbacks manager who’s been serving as a Mets’ scout, to
replace him. And it’s probably not a good sign for Manuel that everyone
seems to know this.
Heyman is pretty plugged in with the Mets, so he’s probably right about this. And he made a good argument last month about why, irrespective of what people are talking about, it makes sense that the Mets would install Melvin (at least why it makes sense to the Wilpons).
Valentine has star power. So much that I keep forgetting all the reasons why he doesn’t make practical sense for the Mets. It’s totally Melvin if and when Manuel goes.
- Another one bites the dust: Mets lose young catcher Travis d’Arnaud to fractured right hand 8
- National League GM says Phillies’ asking price for Cole Hamels hasn’t dropped “one bit” 10
- Giants receive their 2014 World Series championship rings 19
- Angels activate Garrett Richards for Sunday debut 2
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 38
- Video: Watch Kris Bryant get his first major league hit and RBI 12
- Yordano Ventura ejected for hitting Brett Lawrie with a pitch 38
- Pete Rose joins FOX as a baseball analyst 25
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)