May 19, 2010, 6:00 PM EST
Jon Heyman on the Mets’ managerial situation:
If Manuel goes, the Mets will almost assuredly hire Bob Melvin,
the ex-Diamondbacks manager who’s been serving as a Mets’ scout, to
replace him. And it’s probably not a good sign for Manuel that everyone
seems to know this.
Heyman is pretty plugged in with the Mets, so he’s probably right about this. And he made a good argument last month about why, irrespective of what people are talking about, it makes sense that the Mets would install Melvin (at least why it makes sense to the Wilpons).
Valentine has star power. So much that I keep forgetting all the reasons why he doesn’t make practical sense for the Mets. It’s totally Melvin if and when Manuel goes.
- Report: Two agents rumbled in the parking lot at the Winter Meetings 30
- Mets sign 40-year-old Bartolo Colon for two years, $20 million 38
- MLB rules committee decides to eliminate collisions at home plate 63
- Mariners sign Corey Hart to incentive-laden deal 28
- David Price would not consider an extension with the Mariners if he’s traded there 35
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (113)
- Managers, GMs to meet today to discuss the abolition of home plate collisions (113)