May 19, 2010, 12:15 PM EDT
The commencement of interleague play means that help is on the way to the Mariners’ anemic lineup:
As a senior at Long Beach State, [Jason] Vargas served as the Dirtbags’ usual
designated hitter, finishing with a .354 batting average, 14 doubles
and five homers. Furthermore, the former Marlins and Mets pitcher didn’t
embarrass himself when he was required to bat for himself during his
three years in the National League.
During his big-league career,
Vargas – 14-for-48, with three doubles and two walks – is a .292 hitter
with a .320 on-base percentage and a .354 slugging percentage. Those
numbers are a significant improvement over, say, the .221/.248/.279 Jose
Lopez took into the Mariners’ game Tuesday at Oakland.
The notion that Mariners’ pitchers will represent an improvement in the lineup would be hilarious if it weren’t true.
Oh, and this report comes from John McGrath of the Tacoma News-Tribune, which is the same paper who kicked off the Sleeping Griffey fiasco. I have no reason to believe that they were out to get Griffey with that stuff, but you get the sense that they’re having quite a bit of fun twisting the knife with this latest bit.
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 16
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 45
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 47
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 91
- Who really owns a home run ball? 65
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 130
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” 130
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (130)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (130)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)