May 19, 2010, 12:15 PM EDT
The commencement of interleague play means that help is on the way to the Mariners’ anemic lineup:
As a senior at Long Beach State, [Jason] Vargas served as the Dirtbags’ usual
designated hitter, finishing with a .354 batting average, 14 doubles
and five homers. Furthermore, the former Marlins and Mets pitcher didn’t
embarrass himself when he was required to bat for himself during his
three years in the National League.
During his big-league career,
Vargas – 14-for-48, with three doubles and two walks – is a .292 hitter
with a .320 on-base percentage and a .354 slugging percentage. Those
numbers are a significant improvement over, say, the .221/.248/.279 Jose
Lopez took into the Mariners’ game Tuesday at Oakland.
The notion that Mariners’ pitchers will represent an improvement in the lineup would be hilarious if it weren’t true.
Oh, and this report comes from John McGrath of the Tacoma News-Tribune, which is the same paper who kicked off the Sleeping Griffey fiasco. I have no reason to believe that they were out to get Griffey with that stuff, but you get the sense that they’re having quite a bit of fun twisting the knife with this latest bit.
- Mike Trout, Giancarlo Stanton win the Hank Aaron Award 1
- World Series, Game 4: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Report: Rays owner Stuart Sternberg has discussed moving the team to Montreal 59
- Dave Dombrowski on Miguel Cabrera: “It’s worse than what we ever would have anticipated” 28
- World Series Reset: Can the Giants even things up? 4
- Behind strong bullpen, Royals edge Giants 3-2 to take a 2-1 World Series lead 36
- Paul Konerko, Jimmy Rollins named co-winners of the Roberto Clemente Award 4
- The greatest trick this Royals bullpen ever pulled … 3
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (143)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (106)