Hanley Ramirez hasn't apologized yet, but Fredi Gonzalez expects him to play tonight

May 19, 2010, 12:44 PM EDT

Fredi Gonzalez benched Hanley Ramirez last night and the Marlins won thanks in part to two RBIs from his replacement, but the manager said during a radio interview this morning that he “would be really surprised” if Ramirez isn’t back in the lineup tonight against the Cardinals.

It’s going to get resolved one way or the other today. I would be really surprised if he’s not in the lineup today. We’ll take care of it and he’ll be in the three hole and playing shortstop.

However, he said “not yet” when asked if Ramirez has followed through on Gonzalez’s demand that he apologize to the team.

I expect him to do it. I expect him to do the right thing, but I think he needs to address his teammates a little bit. When that happens, we are good to go.

Reading between the lines, that sure sounds like Gonzalez is still sticking with his demand that Ramirez apologize before playing again and is simply assuming the All-Star shortstop will comply by tonight’s game (and applying some subtle pressure in the process). Based on Ramirez’s actions so far that seems like a leap of faith, but I guess we’ll find out soon enough.

1. MIKE WEBER - May 19, 2010 at 2:29 PM

Lazy bum all that money and they still don’t want to earn it. You make me sick you BUM

2. Jeri - May 19, 2010 at 2:31 PM

Everyone on the team goes above and beyond and for a player (Ramirez) not to be part of that “hustle” – he should apologize. Can’t have someone on the team who is not a team player!!!

3. Mason - May 19, 2010 at 2:41 PM

Careful, everybody! Haven’t you learned that it’s inherently racist to even suggest that a person of “color” is lazy, doesn’t hustle, or has a bad attitude?!?

4. Old Gator - May 19, 2010 at 2:54 PM

Have a look at Hanley’s stats, idiot. This isn’t about whether he “earns” it or not. He clearly does – and more. This is about attitude. And yours stinks too.
    Replying to comment from MASON: Until you just brought it up, this episode has been national news for three days and nobody had yet mentioned it, had they, moron?
    Tough day on the blogs. All this rain must have flushed out the trailer parks again.

5. Mason - May 19, 2010 at 4:11 PM

You’re a sensitive old fart, aren’t ya? Although I am a little disappointed; your posts are usually a little better written than this.
    And actually, my trailer handles the rain better than most houses, I would think. Sits nice and high, no leaky basement to worry about.
    But you must know that. You’re in the trailer park capital of the country. And your Grand Marquis fits right in (don’t worry, you’ll get that Buick someday). Now run along before you miss the early bird special at Denny’s.

Pujols deal still worth it to Angels?
  1. I. Davis (3965)