May 19, 2010, 2:42 PM EST
Marlins manager Fredi Gonzalez indicated this morning that he was confident about Hanley Ramirez making the apology to the team necessary to be back in the lineup for tonight’s game.
And sure enough, according to Enrique Rojas of ESPNDeportes.com he plans to do just that. Here’s what Ramirez told Rojas this afternoon (the actual quotes are in Spanish, so below is merely what “Google Translate” spit out):
I regret that this has gotten so ugly, it was not my intention to create a distraction. I feel that things have reached these levels, the team and the fans do not deserve it. Here we are all professionals and we are pulling for the same side, I will try to close this chapter and focus on playing ball.
Ramirez also backtracked from some of the shots he took at Gonzalez’s lack of experience as a big-league player, saying he was “not trying to belittle or denigrate the manager because he did not play” in the majors. Better late than never, I suppose, but saying all of that (or just not saying some of the stuff he’s now backing away from) 24 hours ago sure would have saved Ramirez a lot of trouble.
Instead he publicly criticized and undermined his manager, threw teammates under the bus for joining him in not hustling, and generally just splashed gasoline on the fire he created in the first place by dogging it. I give him credit for swallowing his pride rather than stubbornly refusing not to apologize, because that would have kept Ramirez out of the lineup and ultimately he’s a great player the Marlins need out there every day.
- Grant Balfour may file a grievance over Orioles’ decision to back out of contract 18
- Former Major Leaguer Gabe Kapler wants collisions to remain part of the game 27
- Carlos Beltran introduced by the Yankees, takes a shot at the Mets 29
- The Grant Balfour-Orioles deal is dead 25
- Kevin Youkilis is going to play in Japan 30
- Hall of Fame voting expert: Greg Maddux makes it. No one else does. (105)
- I don’t know what the best baseball song is, but it ain’t John freakin’ Fogerty (101)
- Happy Birthday, Ty Cobb! (89)
- ‘Tis the season for people acting incredibly dumb (74)
- The Yankees agree to a one-year, $2 million deal with Brian Roberts (74)