May 19, 2010, 2:42 PM EDT
Marlins manager Fredi Gonzalez indicated this morning that he was confident about Hanley Ramirez making the apology to the team necessary to be back in the lineup for tonight’s game.
And sure enough, according to Enrique Rojas of ESPNDeportes.com he plans to do just that. Here’s what Ramirez told Rojas this afternoon (the actual quotes are in Spanish, so below is merely what “Google Translate” spit out):
I regret that this has gotten so ugly, it was not my intention to create a distraction. I feel that things have reached these levels, the team and the fans do not deserve it. Here we are all professionals and we are pulling for the same side, I will try to close this chapter and focus on playing ball.
Ramirez also backtracked from some of the shots he took at Gonzalez’s lack of experience as a big-league player, saying he was “not trying to belittle or denigrate the manager because he did not play” in the majors. Better late than never, I suppose, but saying all of that (or just not saying some of the stuff he’s now backing away from) 24 hours ago sure would have saved Ramirez a lot of trouble.
Instead he publicly criticized and undermined his manager, threw teammates under the bus for joining him in not hustling, and generally just splashed gasoline on the fire he created in the first place by dogging it. I give him credit for swallowing his pride rather than stubbornly refusing not to apologize, because that would have kept Ramirez out of the lineup and ultimately he’s a great player the Marlins need out there every day.
- Mets acquire Tyler Clippard from the Athletics 16
- Angels acquire Shane Victorino from Red Sox 15
- Happy 40th Birthday, A-Rod! 41
- Craig Biggio, John Smoltz, Randy Johnson and Pedro Martinez inducted into the Hall of Fame 41
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 48
- Mike Trout hits two homers, including a grand slam, to take MLB lead 13
- Zack Greinke’s scoreless innings streak ends at 45 2/3 7
- Royals acquire ace Johnny Cueto from the Reds 71
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (156)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- MLBPAA announces “Heart and Hustle” award, given mostly to Americans and white guys (131)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)