Hanley Ramirez plans to apologize to teammates before tonight's game

May 19, 2010, 2:42 PM EDT

Marlins manager Fredi Gonzalez indicated this morning that he was confident about Hanley Ramirez making the apology to the team necessary to be back in the lineup for tonight’s game.
And sure enough, according to Enrique Rojas of ESPNDeportes.com he plans to do just that. Here’s what Ramirez told Rojas this afternoon (the actual quotes are in Spanish, so below is merely what “Google Translate” spit out):

I regret that this has gotten so ugly, it was not my intention to create a distraction. I feel that things have reached these levels, the team and the fans do not deserve it. Here we are all professionals and we are pulling for the same side, I will try to close this chapter and focus on playing ball.

Ramirez also backtracked from some of the shots he took at Gonzalez’s lack of experience as a big-league player, saying he was “not trying to belittle or denigrate the manager because he did not play” in the majors. Better late than never, I suppose, but saying all of that (or just not saying some of the stuff he’s now backing away from) 24 hours ago sure would have saved Ramirez a lot of trouble.
Instead he publicly criticized and undermined his manager, threw teammates under the bus for joining him in not hustling, and generally just splashed gasoline on the fire he created in the first place by dogging it. I give him credit for swallowing his pride rather than stubbornly refusing not to apologize, because that would have kept Ramirez out of the lineup and ultimately he’s a great player the Marlins need out there every day.

1. Bobby - May 19, 2010 at 2:49 PM

Great player, but incredibly and emotionally immature.

2. Old Gator - May 19, 2010 at 2:50 PM

I hope it’s true. There’s nothing enjoyable about watching a grown man sulk around like a spanked baby.
    But regardless of any apologia, I still suspect that this entire episode, if it didn’t dig Fredi’s grave, at least helped designate the plot where he will eventually be interred. A manager can get away with having this kind of gargoyle hatch on his watch if he’s winning; it just makes things look that much worse when he’s not.

3. BC - May 19, 2010 at 3:01 PM

I hope it sets off a clubhouse brawl.

4. mike - May 19, 2010 at 3:10 PM

Morgan Ensberg has a great entry on how he should have behaved, and still can.

5. Tom Shumaker - May 19, 2010 at 3:40 PM

Any player that “dogs” it like he did the other night & then blasts his manager (with totally uncalled-for remarks)for sitting his lazy overpaid butt on the pine is not a “Great player” I don’t care what kind of stats he has.

6. Alan - May 19, 2010 at 4:28 PM

Too little Too late
    Suspend him or trade him

7. moondoggie - May 19, 2010 at 5:22 PM

I hope when he comes to AZ he has his paaapers…

Red Sox shopping Lester and Lackey