May 19, 2010, 9:20 AM EDT
Yesterday I praised the Mets for making what seemed to be a wise long-term decision for the organization in sending Jenrry Mejia down to the minors to be transformed back into a starting pitcher. The only reservation I had over the move was if the team decided to only send him down for a short time and call him back up to start for the Mets before he had a chance to really master his arsenal and learn to get hitters out multiple times a game.
According to the New York Post, however, the Mets may be doing something even worse than that:
The source said if a decision is reached to make Mejia a starter it
wouldn’t necessarily involve a trip to the minor leagues, as the Mets
might choose to let the right-hander “stretch out” at the major league
level as Joba Chamberlain did with the Yankees two years ago.
Because turning Chamberlain into a starter at the major league level worked out so well for everyone.
This source could be wrong and the Mets may very well end up sending Mejia down, but I’m going to hold off praising the Mets over anything unless and until they show us that they can make even a single move that is in the organization’s long term best interests as opposed to lurching from quick fix to quick fix.
If this report is accurate, however, the Mets appear to be poised to wreck a promising pitching prospect, and that’s simply unacceptable.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 60
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 6
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 67
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- Andrew McCutchen cut his hair for the first time in eight years (76)