May 19, 2010, 9:20 AM EDT
Yesterday I praised the Mets for making what seemed to be a wise long-term decision for the organization in sending Jenrry Mejia down to the minors to be transformed back into a starting pitcher. The only reservation I had over the move was if the team decided to only send him down for a short time and call him back up to start for the Mets before he had a chance to really master his arsenal and learn to get hitters out multiple times a game.
According to the New York Post, however, the Mets may be doing something even worse than that:
The source said if a decision is reached to make Mejia a starter it
wouldn’t necessarily involve a trip to the minor leagues, as the Mets
might choose to let the right-hander “stretch out” at the major league
level as Joba Chamberlain did with the Yankees two years ago.
Because turning Chamberlain into a starter at the major league level worked out so well for everyone.
This source could be wrong and the Mets may very well end up sending Mejia down, but I’m going to hold off praising the Mets over anything unless and until they show us that they can make even a single move that is in the organization’s long term best interests as opposed to lurching from quick fix to quick fix.
If this report is accurate, however, the Mets appear to be poised to wreck a promising pitching prospect, and that’s simply unacceptable.
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 71
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 83
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 79
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 64
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 13
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 32
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)