May 19, 2010, 11:38 PM EDT
Jorge Posada has been in and out of the Yankees’ lineup for the past week or so, and on Wednesday evening we all found out why. According to Marc Carig of the Newark Star-Ledger, the veteran catcher has been diagnosed with a hairline fracture in his right foot and could miss up to a month.
Francisco Cervelli is the logical choice to fill in at catcher for the next three-to-four weeks, given the impressive .373/.442/.493 batting line that he’s posted in limited action this season. Now the world will find out if he’s for real.
Posada, 38, was batting .326 this season with a .406 on-base percentage, six home runs and 14 RBI through 89 at-bats. Given his age, we’re thinking the Yanks’ three-to-four week recovery timetable might be a bit optimistic. Then again, he’s proven people wrong his whole career.
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 41
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 44
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 56
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (88)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)