May 19, 2010, 11:38 PM EST
Jorge Posada has been in and out of the Yankees’ lineup for the past week or so, and on Wednesday evening we all found out why. According to Marc Carig of the Newark Star-Ledger, the veteran catcher has been diagnosed with a hairline fracture in his right foot and could miss up to a month.
Francisco Cervelli is the logical choice to fill in at catcher for the next three-to-four weeks, given the impressive .373/.442/.493 batting line that he’s posted in limited action this season. Now the world will find out if he’s for real.
Posada, 38, was batting .326 this season with a .406 on-base percentage, six home runs and 14 RBI through 89 at-bats. Given his age, we’re thinking the Yanks’ three-to-four week recovery timetable might be a bit optimistic. Then again, he’s proven people wrong his whole career.
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 62
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 120
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 79
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 156
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal 135
- Done Deal: Giancarlo Stanton and the Marlins agree on the biggest contract in baseball history 124
- Biggest deal in baseball history: Giancarlo Stanton close to 13-year, $325 million contract with Marlins (182)
- So Curt Schilling spent his evening arguing against the theory of evolution (165)
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (156)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)