May 19, 2010, 8:59 AM EDT
Not that he is to blame or anything, but it is rather astounding that the Phillies have lost two games in their last ten, and both losses came in Roy Halladay starts. Also astounding are the pitch counts he’s racking up. 132 pitches last night. In his four starts before that he went 126, 121, 119, 118.
I realize he’s a horse and everything, and I realize that the Phillies’ bullpen could use all the rest it can get, but it strikes me that the Phillies are almost certainly going to be playing more than 162 games this season and that in light of this, Charlie Manuel would do what he can to make sure that Roy Halladay is as fresh as he can be come October.
You have a nice division lead right now, Charlie. There’s no shame in taking Halladay out after, say, seven innings on a cold and rainy Tuesday night in mid May. Yeah, Halladay might not want you too, but you’re the boss and you should give your ace some rest whether he wants it or not.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (133)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)