May 19, 2010, 8:59 AM EST
Not that he is to blame or anything, but it is rather astounding that the Phillies have lost two games in their last ten, and both losses came in Roy Halladay starts. Also astounding are the pitch counts he’s racking up. 132 pitches last night. In his four starts before that he went 126, 121, 119, 118.
I realize he’s a horse and everything, and I realize that the Phillies’ bullpen could use all the rest it can get, but it strikes me that the Phillies are almost certainly going to be playing more than 162 games this season and that in light of this, Charlie Manuel would do what he can to make sure that Roy Halladay is as fresh as he can be come October.
You have a nice division lead right now, Charlie. There’s no shame in taking Halladay out after, say, seven innings on a cold and rainy Tuesday night in mid May. Yeah, Halladay might not want you too, but you’re the boss and you should give your ace some rest whether he wants it or not.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 72
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 34
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (128)