May 19, 2010, 8:59 AM EDT
Not that he is to blame or anything, but it is rather astounding that the Phillies have lost two games in their last ten, and both losses came in Roy Halladay starts. Also astounding are the pitch counts he’s racking up. 132 pitches last night. In his four starts before that he went 126, 121, 119, 118.
I realize he’s a horse and everything, and I realize that the Phillies’ bullpen could use all the rest it can get, but it strikes me that the Phillies are almost certainly going to be playing more than 162 games this season and that in light of this, Charlie Manuel would do what he can to make sure that Roy Halladay is as fresh as he can be come October.
You have a nice division lead right now, Charlie. There’s no shame in taking Halladay out after, say, seven innings on a cold and rainy Tuesday night in mid May. Yeah, Halladay might not want you too, but you’re the boss and you should give your ace some rest whether he wants it or not.
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 34
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 19
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 45
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 58
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (124)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (88)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)