May 19, 2010, 9:58 AM EDT
This is somewhat shocking: the Mets are going to give away tickets to this weekend’s Subway Series with the Yankees. It’s not a contest or anything. According to SportsBusiness Daily, they’re merely unloading “high-priced, premium seats that probably wouldn’t sell.”
According to the article it’s a small number of seats and they’re going to former season ticket holders, so one could chalk this up to a marketing initiative. Still, the fact that the team can’t sell premium tickets to a Mets-Yankees series is pretty telling of the state of the sports buisness economy and, maybe more importantly, the state of the Mets.
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” 15
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 18
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 60
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 12
- Jet Blue Park is absolutely incredible 59