Who actually complained about Theo Epstein going to see Pearl Jam?

May 19, 2010, 11:16 AM EDT

The Globe’s Nick Cafardo defends Red Sox GM Theo Epstein for going to see Pearl Jam on Monday night rather than watching the Red Sox-Yankees game.  I agree with Cafardo’s defenses: Theo works insane hours, he always has his Blackberry anyway, and while the season isn’t going how everyone wanted it to, it’s not like Epstein hasn’t been doing his job.  Dude deserves to go to a show once in a while, doesn’t he?

The only question I have is who was actually criticizing Epstein over this?  I value my brain cells so I don’t listen to Boston talk radio, but were people actually considering this to be some sort of issue?  I’d wager $10,000 that Theo Epstein works more hours and is better at his job than every single person who considered this to be a legitimate problem.

And here I thought people would ignore Red Sox minutiae until the Celtics season was over.

1. willmose - May 19, 2010 at 4:50 PM

When you are as great as Theo, you can just phone it in.

2. Morgan Ensberg - May 19, 2010 at 5:06 PM

Dude do you seriously think that the GM has to watch and be at every single game? Are you mad that Billy Beane doesn’t watch a single game? Fans who think he should be there don’t understand a GM’s responsiblity.
    MorganEnsberg.com

3. The Rabbit - May 19, 2010 at 5:55 PM

The opinions regarding GM’s are at best subjective except when it comes to Minaya and the Creed listening GM of the Feesh.
    I harbor no opinion regarding Theo one way or the other.

4. MVD - May 20, 2010 at 12:35 AM

If its ok to complain about Marlins players, and Matt Holliday, liking Creed, its ok to complain about Theo Espstein liking Pearl Jam.
    At least Creed still knew how to use their distortion pedals after their second album and never tried to pretend they were Sonic Youth.

5. Nasty Boy - May 20, 2010 at 12:53 AM

Right on the money . How many GM’s would have kept their job with the Dice-k fiasco ? For 100 million + you would have thought they could have scouted that supposed pitcher a little better . This has to go down as one of the biggest beatings of a free agent signings in baseball history . Keep up the good work Theo , the Yankees and all their fans appreciate it .

6. justin - May 20, 2010 at 12:57 AM

Before Big Harold jumps you , I’d like to tell you your an idiot.

7. Joey B - May 20, 2010 at 9:44 AM

“I will point out that Coco Crisp is not with the Royals..He’s on the A’s DL. This fact which I knew without checking makes me question any other “facts” you might offer to promote your position.”
    He doesn’t always get these things right. The funny part is, while he claims Crisp is a terrible player, KC traded us a decent RP for him, and the following season, idol Billy Beane signed him. I think BH is upset because Crisp helped us win a WS.

8. Joey B - May 20, 2010 at 9:59 AM

“This has to go down as one of the biggest beatings of a free agent signings in baseball history .”
    LOL!
    His average over his first three seasons is 12-7 with a 4.00 ERA and a ERA+ of 117. That’s something on the order of $1.4M per win. For comparison purposes, the NYY paid $1.21M for each of CC’s wins. Do Dice is a little disappointing, but not off the charts
    OTOH. you guys paid $46M for Igawa, and he’s about gone. That works out to about $23,000,000 per win for you guys.
    Now what were you saying?

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5100)