Yankees blow one, but don't blame this one on Rivera

May 19, 2010, 8:17 AM EDT

Marcus Thames drops one.jpgYes, Mariano Rivera allowed two runs on a pair of hits in the ninth inning of
a tie game
, but no, this one wasn’t his fault. I mean, sure, on some level he has some blame because if bats don’t hit balls none of this happens, but you can’t strike everyone out — that’s fascist, you know — and you gotta have a little help out there. Rivera didn’t get any.

Rivera entered a 5-5 contest — a score largely attributable to Joba Chamberlain’s ineffectiveness in the eighth — and got Mike Lowell to ground out. Darnell McDonald then hit a single, bringing Marco Scutaro
to the plate. He popped it up to shallow right, where Marcus Thames muffed it, first taking his eye off the ball and then trying to make a basket catch with his eyes closed. Yeah, good luck with that, Marcus. Rivera
then got Dustin Pedroia to ground out, putting McDonald on third and Scutaro on second.

At that point the Yankees brought their
outfielders in to play extremely shallow. I’m not sure I get this. Yes, I understand that you want to set things up for a play at the plate, but isn’t a ball going over your head the last thing you want? The Yankees are the home team here, so it’s not like a single run scoring on a sacrifice meant the end of the ballgame. As it turned out, the ball hit by Jeremy Hermida went over Randy Winn’s head, allowing both McDonald and Scutaro to score.  The Yankees scored one in the ninth which would have sent the game to extra innings had Winn caught Hermida’s ball — which he would have if he was playing straight up — Scutaro would not have scored.

But that’s Monday morning quarterbacking, I suppose. More critical in this game was Joba Chamberlain’s ineffectiveness. Chamberlain has now allowed six earned runs in his last two appearances, and last night’s effort wasted what I’m contractually-obligated to call a “gutsy” performance by CC Sabathia. The bullpen is basically in shambles lately, Chamberlain has a lot to do with it and the Yankees need to do something about it.

So put this one on Chamberlain. Put it on Thames. Put it on Girardi. But don’t put it on Mariano Rivera.

1. YankeesfanLen - May 19, 2010 at 8:32 AM

If there’s 10 blame points to go around in very loss, the The Big Toad gets 7 of them. He got so rattled by ARod’s semi error (that’s a new baseball term for a less-than-perfect throw from 3rd to 1st) he became unglued and started hurling like he was trying for kewpie dolls at a fixed game at the county fair.
    All of this could have been eleviated if the lineup had batted in a couple more of the 12 stranded runners, many in scoring position.
    Get well quick, Nick (the good one) and Curtis, and Jorge.
    I knew this 17-in-a-row would be the toughest stand before the ASB, silver lining is only gonna happen this weekend at Shea.

2. RickyB - May 19, 2010 at 8:42 AM

If we don’t subscribe to the chaos theory, that run the Yankees scored in the ninth would have won the game, since a Winn catch would have kept the Red Sox off the board.

3. ThatGuy - May 19, 2010 at 8:47 AM

I think one run would have scored, i believe the fly was deep enough that McDonald could have tagged from 3rd.

4. TC - May 19, 2010 at 9:00 AM

There were two outs at the time, so that would have been the end of the inning.

5. millybo - May 19, 2010 at 9:09 AM

“tagged from 3rd”? when have the rules changed to allow a runner to tag up on the last out of the inning? There were two out when the ball was hit! if winn catches the bleeping ball like he should have the inning is over and the Yankees win!!!

6. Joey B - May 19, 2010 at 9:17 AM

“Blame this game on defense on both sides. Three unearned runs scored for each team, and these are two offenses you really don’t want to give extra outs. They will make you pay just about every time.”
    In all fairness, there was a heavy mist for the entire night. I don’t think it was possible for the ball not to be wet on every play. It’s even possible that Thames had some trouble tracking it.

7. d - May 19, 2010 at 9:19 AM

As a red sox fan, I respect a couple of Yankees players – I don’t want them to do well, but respect anyway (Jeter, Mo, well that’s about it, maybe Posada). Can’t stand Joba or Cervelli (may the power of the schwartz be with him). Glad to see Joba come unglued. Although, I have to admit, I thought the game was over when it was 5-1, and the Yankees are still superior, but the Rays will run away with the division I’m afraid.
    unevenly organize – that says it all

8. Joey B - May 19, 2010 at 9:23 AM

“At that point the Yankees brought their outfielders in to play extremely shallow. I’m not sure I get this. Yes, I understand that you want to set things up for a play at the plate, but isn’t a ball going over your head the last thing you want?”
    With 2nd and 3rd and two out in the 9th in a tied game, there is very little difference between a single and a double. A double is an automatic 2 runs, but even a single at normal depth with Scutaro on is almost always two runs. If you allow a single, you’ll lose 95% of the time.

9. Ace - May 19, 2010 at 9:29 AM

Yes indeed. I was in attendance for this one, and it was an absolutely miserable night for baseball. Cold, raining, windy as hell. The stadium was nearly empty by the end of the game, so that’s got to tell you something about just how nasty it was.

10. YANKEES1996 - May 19, 2010 at 9:30 AM

I agree with YankeesfanLen there is enough blame to go around for that loss. I truly hope it is my imagination but Mo does not look comfortable on the mound, I’m not buying the stiffnes on his left side excuse from a week ago. He does not look like his old self and there does not seem to be a lot of movement on his pitches right now. The error by Thames was the biggest gaffe, Damon may not have been the greatest arm or the fastest guy, but he makes that catch 8 out of 10 times.

11. YankeesfanLen - May 19, 2010 at 10:24 AM

The Thames error looked like Cano was too close and caused some confusion, but I doubt that Johnny could have come from LEFT field and caught it, it’s more like a lack-of-Swisher kind of thing.
    Given that Mo has been perfect all season until he gets The Big Toad’s junk dumped on him and the other team gains momentum, I have no problem with him. Remember that grand slam Sunday night was 3 runs charged to Joba.
    Captcha: soothed friend- don’t worry 1996, I’m on your side.

12. J Rose - May 19, 2010 at 10:30 AM

All I can say is “justice!” Oh yeah and suck it Yanks fans who were ripping Boston yesterday. You deserved this one.

13. Joey B - May 19, 2010 at 10:32 AM

Yup, I can fall asleep in a blizzard and wake up with a foot of snow on me and not notice. But yesterday forced me into actually buying one of those parkas. It’s not a bad investment, but it annoyed the crap put of me that I had to wear a Yankee insignia all game.
    Still, one of the worst days I’ve ever seen at YS.

14. Dai - May 19, 2010 at 10:39 AM

Even after his last two outings, Chamberlain has a FIP of 2.38 and an xFIP of 2.94. He’s striking out 10.80 per 9 IP and has his lowest BB/9 since his rookie season.
    His ERA is 4.91. Why the 2 run difference between xFIP and ERA? His BABIP is .364 and he’s only stranding 57.5% of baserunners. These are classic symptoms of bad luck. Joba is pitching *extremely* well and is not part of any Yankees bullpen problem.
    Last night, he gave up a couple of hard hits, but he also gave up a couple of fluky hits. The box score looks bad, but he didn’t pitch horrendously.

15. YankeesfanLen - May 19, 2010 at 10:44 AM

Yes, he did.

16. Tom - May 19, 2010 at 10:56 AM

Jaba, Jaba, Jaba. Jaba Rules! What a load of CRAP, for 3 years now we’ve heard talk about this guy as if he’s going to win 300 games in 300 starts. He didn’t become the 5th starter and he certainly hasn’t demonstrated he’ll ever be taking Rivera spot when he retires. Yes, he’s had some good outings, most pitchers do. We used to hear about the great Ian Kennedy, until he gave up about 7 runs in no time and he thought he didn’t pitch badly, bye bye Ian. Perhaps the Arizona sun will help you get a clue.
    As I looked at the line up over the last week or so there’s not much to be optimistic about. The “core 4″ as they’re called are almost done and some who are brought in are about the same age. Cervelli isn’t, and won’t be Posada. 1st and 2nd base are covered for the future, everthing else not so much. Everyone fears CC, Burnett, not so much. He’s decent but no one’s shaking in the cleats when they get in the box.
    I don’t see the Red Sox and a the one to beat, their players are in the same age bracket. Although their starting pitching is better.

17. Adam - May 19, 2010 at 10:59 AM

I’m not one to blame the umps for a loss, so I won’t do it here, either.
    But the horrible mis-call at first on the “error” by ARod loomed large in the 8th for Joba, and the horrible no strikeout call against McDonald (after game pitch trackers show it was almost directly over the middle of the plate) in the 9th proved to be fatal to Mo.
    Yes, the defense was sloppy. Yes, they left tons of runners on base. But they were also victims to some awful late inning umpiring.
    If any of those three go the other way, the Yankees win again.

18. Ace - May 19, 2010 at 11:13 AM

That’s hilarious. I too was considering the ethical dillema of whether to purchase a Yankees parka. Is it okay to wear enemy colors if it means preventing a case of pneumonia? I suppose so, but it’s an awfully close call.

19. SteveInAlabama - May 19, 2010 at 11:25 AM

“PREVENT” defenses only prevent the team who uses them from winning the game. The ORTIZ shift is a given as every team uses it to one degree or another. But that stunt last night would have a column somewhere in this paper reading “COACH FIRED” for positioning the players that way last night in the outfield.

20. hatetheyanks57 - May 19, 2010 at 12:02 PM

or it tells you what a bunch of babies the Yankee fans are

21. John - May 19, 2010 at 12:30 PM

Blah, blah, blah… Red Saux & Stankees… How ’bout them Rays?

22. BIGBRUCE11047 - May 19, 2010 at 12:56 PM

Big “Mo” is going to have his good days and bad days. Everybody expects him to come in every game and be “Super Man” every time. He is getting old and as far as I’m concerned maybe this should be his last season as the closer. He has had a wonderful career pitching one inning a game. Thanks for all the good memories!!

23. StPeteLou - May 19, 2010 at 2:03 PM

“The Rays are going to run away with the division.”
    You got that right. The Rays play like they have a chip on their shoulder every game and feel like they have something to prove. They’re young, they’re fast, and they’re deep. And then, there’s the pitching. “Damn!” is all I can say. I would take the entire Rays pitching rotation, 1 through 5, over anyone else’s. Two years ago, just beating the Sox and Yanks was satisfying enough. This year, we want the ring.

24. Ed - May 19, 2010 at 5:15 PM

As an 80 yr old yankee fan all my life i feel that Girardi does’t have enough experience to keep the yankees winning at the current pace. They will probably win again but not because of him but in spite of him. How did they ever let Damon and Matsui leave,Thames should wear a helmet playing the outfield, look over most of his catches, the pitching staff in the bullpen is lesser than last year, they let better pitchers get traded,and kept Marte, who blows about every attempt he is used.Vasques should only be allowed to pitch away games and then only four innings that way he would only give up half the runs which would be easier to make up.Don’t let this old man have so many close heart attacks watching every game I can. The camaraderie of last year is gone along with better ballplayers they traded, lots of new young talent but they need the Damons and Matsui as examples.I do not understand your text problem for not accepting this comment.

25. Robert Greene - May 19, 2010 at 5:41 PM

Love the Yankees and have been a fan since really 1948. I have watched great players come and go with Mantle sure the best in my mind. They now have for sure the poorest Manager they have ever had. I KNOW AS A PROFESSIONAL PLAYER MYSELF THAT the manager is talked to ON EVERY SINGLE PLAYER DEAL. THEY DO NOT PICK UP OR GET RID OF A PLAYER EVER WITHOUT TALKING TO THE MANAGER. ONLY THE GREATEST OWNER OF ALL TIME DID IT HIS WAY ASKING NO ONE AND THAT WAS GEORGE STEINBRENNER.GEORGE WHO ONLY DID AS HE SAW FIT IN BUILDING HIS MANY WORLD CHAMPIONS AND NEVER ASKED ANYONES OPINION OR ADVICE. POSADA TRIES AND DOES HIS BEST BUT HE IS 5 FULL YEARS AWAY FROM BECOMING A HALF WAY GOOD MANAGER. I WOULD RATE HIM ABOUT 12TH OR 13TH AT BEST IN THE ENTIRE MAJOR LEAGUES. YANKEES NEED DESPERATELY A OUTFIELDER AND ONE MORE SOLID TOP PITCHER AND THEY WILL BE FINE. WHERE THEY WILL FIND ONE WHO KNOWS. GEORGE IS NOT THERE SO THESE IN CHARGE NOW HAVE NO IDEA HOW TO GO OUT AND GET WINNERS. BOB GREENE

Who's outside looking in on playoffs?
  1. R. Castillo (3028)