May 20, 2010, 9:41 AM EDT
Yesterday couldn’t have gone much worse for the Indians, who announced Asdrubal Cabrera will miss 8-10 weeks following surgery to repair a broken forearm, placed Grady Sizemore on the disabled list with a bone bruise in his left knee, and then watched Kerry Wood turn a 4-3 lead into an 8-4 loss to the equally lowly Royals in his disastrous first save chance of the season.
Wood has now allowed seven runs while recording 10 outs since coming off the DL, so whatever slim chance the Indians had of getting any kind of value for him at the trading deadline is rapidly vanishing. He was booed off the field and chucked his glove into the stands for good measure after retiring just one of the seven batters he faced. Chris Perez might be in line to replace Wood if he hadn’t struggled at closer already.
Jason Donald will continue to fill in for Cabrera at shortstop while Trevor Crowe started in center field and led off in place of Sizemore, who was hitting just .211/.271/.289 with zero homers and a ghastly 35/9 K/BB ratio before injuring his knee in an awkward slide Sunday. Sizemore is out indefinitely and may need surgery.
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 0
- Mets blow out Marlins, move past Nationals for first place in NL East 6
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 71
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 85
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 79
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 65
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 13
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)