May 20, 2010, 9:41 AM EST
Yesterday couldn’t have gone much worse for the Indians, who announced Asdrubal Cabrera will miss 8-10 weeks following surgery to repair a broken forearm, placed Grady Sizemore on the disabled list with a bone bruise in his left knee, and then watched Kerry Wood turn a 4-3 lead into an 8-4 loss to the equally lowly Royals in his disastrous first save chance of the season.
Wood has now allowed seven runs while recording 10 outs since coming off the DL, so whatever slim chance the Indians had of getting any kind of value for him at the trading deadline is rapidly vanishing. He was booed off the field and chucked his glove into the stands for good measure after retiring just one of the seven batters he faced. Chris Perez might be in line to replace Wood if he hadn’t struggled at closer already.
Jason Donald will continue to fill in for Cabrera at shortstop while Trevor Crowe started in center field and led off in place of Sizemore, who was hitting just .211/.271/.289 with zero homers and a ghastly 35/9 K/BB ratio before injuring his knee in an awkward slide Sunday. Sizemore is out indefinitely and may need surgery.
- MLB, NPB nearing new posting system agreement 7
- Report: Talks between the Mets and Curtis Granderson have “intensified” 31
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury 159
- Marlins sign free agent catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia to three-year, $21 million contract 44
- Carlos Beltran likely to land with the Royals? 18
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (159)
- When will the Yankees regret the Jacoby Ellsbury contract? (91)
- Robinson Cano met with the Mariners in Seattle (81)
- Yankees’ Jacoby Ellsbury signing to pay big dividends… for now (79)
- Robinson Cano says he never asked for $300 million (70)