Astros release $16.5 million bust Kaz Matsui

May 20, 2010, 8:40 AM EDT

After alternating Kaz Matsui and Jeff Keppinger at second base all season the Astros finally released Matsui and his .141 batting average last night.
Signed to a three-year, $16.5 million contract in December of 2007, he ended up hitting just .259/.315/.370 while missing 108 of a possible 363 games with various injuries.
Keppinger celebrated the move by going 3-for-5 with four RBIs last night and the career .278/.333/.386 hitter should get a chance to play every day.

1. Joey B - May 20, 2010 at 9:18 AM

Are they finally coming to grips with the fact that they aren’t a good team? Oswalt could probably get them a very positive return, and Berkman should bring back something. The rest of the big salary guys are probably unmoveable. Moving those two guys should net several prospects, and ensure them a top-5 draft pick instead of top-10.

2. adam - May 20, 2010 at 9:43 AM

anal fissures was a bad signing from the beginning, but at least he provided some comic relief in 2008. one of the worst sounding injuries i’d heard of for a baseball players until felix pie suffered a twisted testicle. from then on every time i see him play i simply call him fissures.
    i don’t think lance is going anywhere for a couple reasons. 1) drayton loves him and so does the city of houston 2) drayton would have to eat a chunk of his salary to get anything in return and he’s not at that point yet

3. terry4505 - May 20, 2010 at 11:18 AM

4. 5iveoclock - May 20, 2010 at 12:20 PM

The Astros are following the lead of ESPN Magazine:
    “Next!”

5. Joey B - May 20, 2010 at 1:18 PM

“Met Fan… I remember the cover of ESPN the Mag with him on it, declaring him as the “Met’s Matsui”…God I hate my own team.”
    That’s actually when I knew the Mets were doomed. They scouted him as a SS, but then came to the conclusion that Reyes, one of the best talents in the league, should be moved to 2B? It’s one thing when a guy can’t make the transition in hitting, but how did they not know that Reyes was a much better SS than Matsui?

6. JoseOle - May 20, 2010 at 2:16 PM

Man how happy I am that the Reds gave up Jorge Cantu to keep Keppinger only to give him up a few years later for Drew Sutton. Who’s Drew Sutton you ask? Dammit.

Red Sox shopping Lester and Lackey