May 20, 2010, 10:42 AM EST
I have the best readers on the planet.
In this morning’s recaps I made a joke about how the 47 year-old Jamie Moyer pitching to the 20 year-old Starlin Castro linked Castro directly to 19th century legend Cap Anson. I was just being silly with that, of course.
But reader Luis took it as a challenge and did the actual linking of Castro and Anson:
- Starlin Castro played with Koyie Hill for the 2010 Chicago Cubs
Exclude Koyie Hill
Koyie Hill played with Rickey Henderson for the 2003 Los Angeles
Dodgers Exclude Rickey Henderson
Rickey Henderson played with Phil Niekro for the 1985 New York Yankees
Exclude Phil Niekro
Phil Niekro played with Warren Spahn for the 1964 Milwaukee Braves
Exclude Warren Spahn
Warren Spahn played with Tony Cuccinello for the 1942 Boston Braves
Exclude Tony Cuccinello
Tony Cuccinello played with Edd Roush for the 1931 Cincinnati Reds
Exclude Edd Roush
Edd Roush played with Nixey Callahan for the 1913 Chicago White Sox
Exclude Nixey Callahan
- Nixey Callahan played with Cap Anson for the 1897 Chicago Colts
God, I love that kind of stuff. You can do it with anyone. I’m not quite sure who the Kevin Bacon figure is in the baseball version of this game, but I’ve always found Niekro and Hoyt Wilhelm to be insanely useful in this regard.
UPDATE: lar reminds us in the comments that Baseball-Reference.com has an app for that.
UPDATE II: Jay at Fack Youk covered this ground last year and found that (a) Warren Spahn is the real Rosetta Stone for this game; and (b) Kevin Bacon couldn’t carry Dennis Hopper’s jock when it comes to the degrees game. Definitely check it out.
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site 7
- What will the future of Cuban players in MLB look like? 24
- Royals sign Edinson Volquez for two years, $20 million 28
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade 97
- Sergio Romo re-signs with the Giants for $15 million 15
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 46
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba 144
- Marlins complete Michael Morse deal: two years, $16 million 19
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (110)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)