May 20, 2010, 10:42 AM EST
I have the best readers on the planet.
In this morning’s recaps I made a joke about how the 47 year-old Jamie Moyer pitching to the 20 year-old Starlin Castro linked Castro directly to 19th century legend Cap Anson. I was just being silly with that, of course.
But reader Luis took it as a challenge and did the actual linking of Castro and Anson:
- Starlin Castro played with Koyie Hill for the 2010 Chicago Cubs
Exclude Koyie Hill
Koyie Hill played with Rickey Henderson for the 2003 Los Angeles
Dodgers Exclude Rickey Henderson
Rickey Henderson played with Phil Niekro for the 1985 New York Yankees
Exclude Phil Niekro
Phil Niekro played with Warren Spahn for the 1964 Milwaukee Braves
Exclude Warren Spahn
Warren Spahn played with Tony Cuccinello for the 1942 Boston Braves
Exclude Tony Cuccinello
Tony Cuccinello played with Edd Roush for the 1931 Cincinnati Reds
Exclude Edd Roush
Edd Roush played with Nixey Callahan for the 1913 Chicago White Sox
Exclude Nixey Callahan
- Nixey Callahan played with Cap Anson for the 1897 Chicago Colts
God, I love that kind of stuff. You can do it with anyone. I’m not quite sure who the Kevin Bacon figure is in the baseball version of this game, but I’ve always found Niekro and Hoyt Wilhelm to be insanely useful in this regard.
UPDATE: lar reminds us in the comments that Baseball-Reference.com has an app for that.
UPDATE II: Jay at Fack Youk covered this ground last year and found that (a) Warren Spahn is the real Rosetta Stone for this game; and (b) Kevin Bacon couldn’t carry Dennis Hopper’s jock when it comes to the degrees game. Definitely check it out.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 7
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 299
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (299)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)