Comment of the Day: Jamie Moyer and Starlin Castro

May 20, 2010, 10:42 AM EDT

Cap Anson.jpgI have the best readers on the planet.

In this morning’s recaps I made a joke about how the 47 year-old Jamie Moyer pitching to the 20 year-old Starlin Castro linked Castro directly to 19th century legend Cap Anson. I was just being silly with that, of course.

But reader Luis took it as a challenge and did the actual linking of Castro and Anson:

• Starlin Castro played with Koyie Hill for the 2010 Chicago Cubs
    Exclude Tony Cuccinello
  • Tony Cuccinello played with Edd Roush for the 1931 Cincinnati Reds
    Exclude Edd Roush
  • Edd Roush played with Nixey Callahan for the 1913 Chicago White Sox
    Exclude Nixey Callahan
  • Nixey Callahan played with Cap Anson for the 1897 Chicago Colts

God, I love that kind of stuff. You can do it with anyone.  I’m not quite sure who the Kevin Bacon figure is in the baseball version of this game, but I’ve always found Niekro and Hoyt Wilhelm to be insanely useful in this regard.

UPDATE:  lar reminds us in the comments that Baseball-Reference.com has an app for that.

UPDATE IIJay at Fack Youk covered this ground last year and found that (a) Warren Spahn is the real Rosetta Stone for this game; and (b) Kevin Bacon couldn’t carry Dennis Hopper’s jock when it comes to the degrees game.  Definitely check it out.

1. The Common Man - May 20, 2010 at 10:56 AM

Well, the key in Kevin Bacon is to get to a Robert DeNiro movie, since he’s been in so many ensemble films with huge casts. And Bacon and DeNiro were in Sleepers together. We need a player who played for a long time with a lot of different teams. Wilhelm is a good option. I think Mike Morgan or Jesse Orosco could help too.

2. BC - May 20, 2010 at 10:56 AM

Hank Aaron and Dave Winfield are also very useful.

3. BC - May 20, 2010 at 11:42 AM

I got very quickly to the 1911 Phillies and then got stuck. Anyone care to finish this off?
    Starlin Castro – 2010 Cubs
    Alfonso Soriano – 2010 Cubs / 1999 Yankees
    Darryl Strawberry – 1999 Yankees / 1983 Mets
    Rusty Staub – 1983 Mets / 1963 Colt 45′s
    Johnny Temple – 1963 Colt 45′s / 1952 Reds
    Ken Raffensberger – 1952 Reds / 1939 Cardinals
    Pepper Martin – 1939 Cardinals / 1928 Cardinals
    Grover Cleveland Alexander – 1928 Cardinals / 1911 Phillies

4. Scott - May 20, 2010 at 11:42 AM

Great all I need is another reason to waste time at work and now I have this. Terry Mulholland is another good resource.

5. Alex K - May 20, 2010 at 11:57 AM

I actually laughed out loud at the tag. Fine work, Craig.

6. ThatGuy - May 20, 2010 at 12:09 PM

You beat me to it, Mulhollands 20 year, 11 team career is a great starting point, more useful than moyer’s 24 years as he was only on 7 different teams.
    captacha:collate from, isn’t that the point of the game?

7. BC - May 20, 2010 at 12:35 PM

That site is great. Here’s an especially scary one for you, Craig:
    Babe Ruth played with Bill Dickey for the 1929 New York Yankees
    Bill Dickey played with Bill Wight for the 1946 New York Yankees
    Bill Wight played with Brooks Robinson for the 1957 Baltimore Orioles
    Brooks Robinson played with Dennis Martinez for the 1977 Baltimore Orioles
    Dennis Martinez played with Chipper Jones for the 1998 Atlanta Braves

8. Jack Marshall - May 20, 2010 at 1:01 PM

Nope—the Rosetta Stone for movies is definitely Rod Steiger. Some maniac actually calculated the links for every movie actor who ever lived (Bacon’s not in the top 50). I would have guessed Ward Bond or John Caradine, but Steiger’s edge is that he was in every genre, including plenty of star-studded casts like “The Longest Day” and “Mars Attacks!”

9. scatterbrian - May 20, 2010 at 2:30 PM

I always thought the key was JFK.

10. Bill@TDS - May 20, 2010 at 3:19 PM

I can see why Warren Spahn would be huge, but almost every time I have used that service, it’s come up with Brooks Robinson (usually linking to Eddie Murray).

Pujols deal still worth it to Angels?
  1. I. Davis (4003)